PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Washing plates in cold water

Options
Has anyone washed plates, cutlery, pots and pans etc in cold water. What I am asking is washing up liquid effective in cold water to remove grease etc. Looking for ways to save boiling a kettle each evening.

Since I turned my heating off  I only have the hot water on tap once a week when I turn the boiler on for my bath etc.

Comments

• gorgeousme
    Options
    Yes I do washing up in cold water, I only boil water for really greasy pans. I am concerned that you have turned your heating off as we go into the winter though. Have you been to the social departments for help?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I do washing up in cold water, I only boil water for really greasy pans. I am concerned that you have turned your heating off as we go into the winter though. Have you been to the social departments for help?
    What social departments and what do you expect them to do? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • gorgeousme
    Options
    elsien said:
    What social departments and what do you expect them to do? 
    I am not knowledgeable in that area, but as littlemoney has turn off the heating, it is possible that there is financial help available…..Universal Credits, JSA, ESA, housing benefit etc. plus higher energy grant from the Government.

Not sure how to take your question, do you have any knowledge or good advice?
  • Yes we only ever wash up in cold water. We don’t use the gas boiler at all, rely on fires for heat. It’s amazing how easy things are to wash up when you swill them off quickly after using - gets you into the habit of washing up straight away as well so the kitchen is always presentable x
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,338 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Try it and see if you are happy with the results.
    If you have very greasy dishes, wiping them with old newspaper or something before washing can help.  I also find it effective to wash pots as soon as I have finished cooking as putting only a little water into a hot pan and it will heat the water.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • littlemoney
    Options
    I have tried cold water and they looked  ok but I wanted to check others experiences. Having had food poisoning in the summer I am being careful. I like the suggestion of wiping off excess.

I have an old boiler with hot water tank so for small quantities I don't use it to heat water.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’ve been washing up with cold water.  I don’t find dealing with greasy plates is a problem, even if I don’t use washing up liquid.  Anything with neat cooking oil usually needs washing up liquid and occasionally hot water as well.  But you can tell whether stuff is grease free by touch.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Could you boil a kettle for hot water? Pick up extra plates from a charity shop and keep a few days worth before washing them all.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wash in cold with a bit of warm from kettle  usually boiled for cup of tea ,depending on grease etc. as there’s only me I don’t have stacks, I first rinse the plate and then using a scourer with a dab of Wup liquid clean ,rinse off last .if a pan is used water goes in immediately whilst hot.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Longwalker
    Options
    I have tried cold water and they looked  ok but I wanted to check others experiences. Having had food poisoning in the summer I am being careful. I like the suggestion of wiping off excess.

I have an old boiler with hot water tank so for small quantities I don't use it to heat water.
    You wont get food poisoning from washing up in cold water, food poisoning is because food hasn't been cooked properly so dont panic

Do scrub off the best you can, the local free newspaper if you get one will work, if not use your hand in a rubber glove , dont let food sit on the plates . I wash mostly in cold, we have an oil boiler and that can take 10 mins before hot come through and the dishes are done by then :) Not poisoned anyone yet xx

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback