Lit Fibre - Alternative Router

Options
I have recently moved to Lit Fibre for their 100mb connection. The service is great, but the router they provide (MitraStar MGS2028E-2) has a weak wifi signal, and we struggle to get a signal upstairs. I don't want to pay an extra £5 per month for their mesh unit. Also the router only has 2 LAN ports, whereas we need 4 ports.

Can anyone recommend an alternative router that I could purchase?

Comments

• shiraz99
    shiraz99 Posts: 1,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 September 2022 at 3:58PM
    Options
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    What is your budget, I have ASUS mesh, but if you can set your isp box into modem mode then you can pick many router only boxes
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • skyking_comms
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not the most technical person, so please bear with me. 

Lit have provided 2 boxes.. the MitraStar MGS2028E-2 (wireless router) and also a XG-99C (Assume the Optical Unit).

If I was to get the TP-Link archer would I still need both the boxes Lit have provided?
    If so would it be the MitraStar that I need to put into modem mode?

The house I live in has thick walls as it was built in the 1930's so need a wireless router that is known for a strong signal in my type of house. Ideally want to avoid having to purchase and return wireless routers to find one that works for me. 

Thanks 
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    The transmission power of the wifi on a router is limited by OFCOM, they will all be the same.  Some might have better antennae, but you also need to remember that the devices connecting to the wifi will still have the same transmission power whatever router you have.

For extra ethernet ports you can just plug in a network switch.  Something like a Netgear GS105 that Argos and many others sell would be fine.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • shiraz99
    Options
    Have you tried connecting your "hard to reach" devices via the 5ghz band rather than 2.4GHz, if they're not already doing so (assuming they're capable). You may need to rename the SSIDs from the router side to distinguish between the two.
  • shiraz99
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not the most technical person, so please bear with me. 

Lit have provided 2 boxes.. the MitraStar MGS2028E-2 (wireless router) and also a XG-99C (Assume the Optical Unit).

If I was to get the TP-Link archer would I still need both the boxes Lit have provided?
    If so would it be the MitraStar that I need to put into modem mode?

The house I live in has thick walls as it was built in the 1930's so need a wireless router that is known for a strong signal in my type of house. Ideally want to avoid having to purchase and return wireless routers to find one that works for me. 

Thanks 
    The ONT is what terminates the fibre from the outside, you will always keep this. I don't see any reason why you can't replace the existing router entirely, as long as the new one supports PPPoE.
  • debitcardmayhem
    Options
    shiraz99 said:
    Have you tried connecting your "hard to reach" devices via the 5ghz band rather than 2.4GHz, if they're not already doing so (assuming they're capable). You may need to rename the SSIDs from the router side to distinguish between the two.

Surely you mean 2.4ghz not 5ghz , better penetration but less speed
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • shiraz99
    Options
    shiraz99 said:

Surely you mean 2.4ghz not 5ghz , better penetration but less speed
    No, I meant what I said. It might sound counterintuitive but unless the distances are big (over 30 metres) you'll quite often get a better connection using a 5ghz band. At the end of the day it's worth trying it out, if nothing else.

I have similar, 1920s property with solid walls and there's one upstairs area where my office is that really struggles to get a good wifi connection but having purchased an external dual band USB adapter which I turned off the 2.4Ghz band the connection to my laptop is now perfect.
  • Mosef41
    Mosef41 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2023 at 8:10AM
    Options
    I'm considering moving to Lit Fibre and am currently on PlusNet.  The wi fi was pretty poor so I replaced their stock router with a Netgear Nighthawk I got off Ebay and it has been rock solid since, with speed test consistently reporting maximum speeds for up and downloading.  I'm planning to re-use the router when moving to Litfibre.  We are also in a 1930's property and up until recently had two of us working from home regularly on teams calls and relying on a solid connection.  HTH
  • Chickereeeee
    Chickereeeee Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mosef41 said:
    I'm considering moving to Lit Fibre and am currently on PlusNet.  The wi fi was pretty poor so I replaced their stock router with a Netgear Nighthawk I got off Ebay and it has been rock solid since, with speed test consistently reporting maximum speeds for up and downloading.  I'm planning to re-use the router when moving to Litfibre.  We are also in a 1930's property and up until recently had two of us working from home regularly on teams calls and relying on a solid connection.  HTH
    The Plusnet router also has the problem that it cannot run many devices. I think about 14 IP addresses. Then it keeps dropping and re-syncing, which appears as bad wifi performance. 
    Also, the WiFi range is poor. 
    I bought a used BT of Ebay for £11 and it is MUCH better.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback