Santander Blocked

Options

Comments

• MrFrugalFever
    Options
    To whomever says ‘cash is king’….this is complete nonsense and this very post is anecdotal evidence.
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ed-1 said:
    It was deposited into an ATM deposit machine. As said I sold 2 greyhounds that I own. Again I can provide documentation for this. 
    Or even better get the purchase to transfer the funds via faster payment. 
    But this carries risk too. There are many reports of purchasers pulling a fast one and telling their bank they've been scammed. The bank then contact your bank who freeze your account.
    But can be countered. Which backfires on the other party, & can lead to them losing their bank account.
    Life in the slow lane
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How, when and by whom were you asked where the money came from? Presumably not by the ATM while depositing...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Astria
    Astria Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2022 at 9:32AM
    Options
    To whomever says ‘cash is king’….this is complete nonsense and this very post is anecdotal evidence.
    Although once your bank account(s) have been frozen, it really is because there's no other way of buying goods and services.
    Only ever had my bank account frozen once, and since I kept money at home too I could just continue with everyday life.
    These days I do have multiple bank accounts, but it's still possible that all of them could be frozen, so I still have some 'emergency cash'.
    I also always carry around about £50 in cash, just in case technology fails.
  • Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Astria said:
    Although once your bank account(s) have been frozen, it really is because there's no other way of buying goods and services.

You could use one of the credit cards that you got in anticipation of emergencies?

Astria said:
    These days I do have multiple bank accounts, but it's still possible that all of them could be frozen, so I still have some 'emergency cash'.
    If you have multiple current accounts and manage to get all of them frozen at the same time, you're probably not far from enjoying His Majesty's Pleasure, so you'd be provided with life's essentials for free and wouldn't need any cash for some time
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Daliah said:
    Astria said:

You could use one of the credit cards that you got in anticipation of emergencies?
    Not all people have CCs or are even able to get them.

Astria said:
    If you have multiple current accounts and manage to get all of them frozen at the same time, you're probably not far from enjoying His Majesty's Pleasure, so you'd be provided with life's essentials for free and wouldn't need any cash for some time
    Well, luckily, unlike in banking, 'innocent until proven guilty' principle still works when it comes to prisons.

• Astria
    Astria Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Options
    Daliah said:
    Astria said:

and if that gets declined? Plus, how would that work when because of an IT glitch, a company can't accept card payments? Eg, only last week the local co-op was "cash only" for half a day, now sure, I could have gone elsewhere, or left it a day, but if you got cash you wouldn't have to. Plus cash-only stores still do exist.

Astria said:
    A simple problem with tax can get all your accounts frozen for investigation, HMP would only occur once they've proven something.

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 September 2022 at 12:12PM
    Options
    born_again said:
    But this carries risk too. There are many reports of purchasers pulling a fast one and telling their bank they've been scammed. The bank then contact your bank who freeze your account.
    In what way do they say you have scammed them?

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,449 Forumite
    Options
    phillw said:
    born_again said:
    In what way do they say you have scammed them?

It's not scamming the bank. It's claiming someone else has scammed them, when they have not. As far as bank ges that is a breach of trust. (or in other terms. They have been lying to claim money fraudulently)

Something banks take a very dim view of.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Daliah
    Daliah Posts: 3,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Astria said:
     Plus cash-only stores still do exist. 

and non-cash shops are on the increase https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/mar/12/cashs-reign-fades-as-covid-accelerates-high-street-switch-to-card-only
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback