Switch from tax credits to UC advice

Options
AyeReady1985
AyeReady1985 Posts: 35 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 September 2022 at 8:51PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi all. 

Just looking for a bit of advice. We get child tax credits just now with the disability element and I have heard the adverts suggesting that it may be financially better for you to change to UC before 2024. 

I earn 31,000. We have 2 kids one of whom is disabled and receives high rate care and low rate mobility of DLA. My wife does not work and receives carers allowance. 

We rent privately and do not receive any council tax discounts etc because of disability. 

I have done the calculator but I am still a little confused. It seems to suggest that we would be £100 per week better off but this seems to be too much I would have thought. Plus I have heard that you have to wait for payment to be made in arrears. 

I am going to call on Monday but wondered if anyone had done something similar and did it work out for the best? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 September 2022 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Ringing them will not help, DWP are not advisers and cannot advise you on whether or not you would be better off,

you could try contacting a local advice agency and ask them to do a benefits check for you.
    https://advicelocal.uk/

Whether or not UC or Tax Credits are more beneficial entirely depends on your circumstances. Some people will be better off on UC. In your case your UC would include a couple allowance, child element for two children, a higher rate disabled child element and a carer element. If you rent you would also get help with the rent. This will give a maximum UC amount. Her CA will be deducted and there will be a deduction of 55% of your earnings over the Work Allowance (the amount depends on whether or not you will be getting help with rent).

Any capital over £6,000 would reduce your UC and if over £16,000 you will not be able to claim UC.

UC is calculated every month so will vary if you earnings vary, unlike Tax Credits which are calculated based on your previous tax year earnings.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try a couple of benefit calculators, to see what they say.  I believe you will be automatically switched in the future but if it benefits you to do it now then it might be worth it. 

Good Luck
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    Options
    peteuk said:
    I believe you will be automatically switched in the future
    No one will be automatically switched. People will be invited to apply.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    peteuk said:
    Thanks Poppy I do stand corrected, apologises for any confusion caused. 
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    peteuk said:

The plan is to move everybody in 2024, I do believe tax credit amounts will be protected so if UC is calculated as less you will receive the old tax credits amount. Past that you won't receive any cost of living increases etc until UC catches up to your amount.

Currently they are inviting people to apply for UC or as with the cost of living payments you get them much later on tax credits with might motivate people to change over.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2022 at 3:00PM
    Options
    Percy1983 said:
    peteuk said:

The plan is to move everybody in 2024, …
    Should say by the end of 2024 rather than in 2024. Managed migration has started. Although I think OBR still assume it will take longer!

It’s not just Tax Credit claimants that are protected. Everybody moving from old benefits to UC will get transitional protection such that on the day of transfer they do not get less than they previously received. However the transitional protection will be eroded as benefit rates increase and/or there are changes in circumstances. Tax Credit claimants will be have capital over £16,000 for one year - but only for one  year.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback