E.On Next Smart Meter Installation Madness

bioboybill
bioboybill Posts: 3,401
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
E.On Next have been emailing and texting me about getting a smart meter fitted for months to the point of pestering. With the increase in prices I finally thought it was time, so booked an installation for today (Friday 23rd September). I received an email and a text on Monday advising me what timeslot the engineer would arrive and to ensure he could get parked.

Then on Tuesday I got an email to say that due to complex signalling issues in my area a smart meter couldn't be fitted at my property after all (they know where I live, so why book an appointment?) I replied back to say that the whole situation was ridiculous, and they replied repeating their reasons and apologising for the inconvenience.

You could knock me down with a feather when they texted me yesterday to say, "Good news, we can now fit a smart meter at your property. Please let us know when would be suitable!" I replied to reiterate what had happened and not to bother. What are they playing at? Does the left hand not communicate with the right?

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I suspect that the emails/texts headed "good news etc etc " are being sent out nationally. When the job gets allocated more locally, the installation "team" knock it back because they know that they cannot get a smart meter to connect to the centralised D.C.C from your location.
  • If you will benefit from a smart meter and EON will fit one you might as well get one fitted.
  • bioboybill
    Forumite
    philipbin said:
    If you will benefit from a smart meter and EON will fit one you might as well get one fitted.
    But that's the problem. It looks like I can't benefit from one due to signalling issues, but they keep offering to install one.
  • SAC2334
    SAC2334 Posts: 724
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The new meter probably needs to be fitted anyway as your old meter will be getting towards the end of its working life .

A dumb smart meter is as good as and better than most of the new digital meters even if it does nt work smart.

Its very overrated what a smart meter does anyway as imputing a couple of meter reads four times a year is a simple 2 minute job
  • bioboybill
    Forumite
    A very late update on this lol. I decided to go with their new Pledge tracker tariff, as Martin Lewis said the saving was a no-brainer. However the terms said you had to get a smart meter. So I got on WhatsApp to discuss with them. They said that I couldn’t have a smart meter fitted, but I could get the tariff anyway. They explained that I’m on a flight path to an RAF base in Yorkshire and their sensitive radar meant I was excluded from having a smart meter. They said they are trying to find a solution. I won’t hold my breath!
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,766
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Ahhh… you’re a Fylingdales victim.  Yes, genuinely currently nothing can be done about your situation I suspect - it’s great that they’re letting you have the tariff anyway. Common sense really! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,082
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    SAC2334 said:
    The new meter probably needs to be fitted anyway as your old meter will be getting towards the end of its working life .

A dumb smart meter is as good as and better than most of the new digital meters even if it does nt work smart.

Its very overrated what a smart meter does anyway as imputing a couple of meter reads four times a year is a simple 2 minute job
    I'm not overrating the hundreds of pounds my smart meter is enabling me to save via time of use tariffs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback