🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Smart Meters

Options
Some years ago, we had a smart meter with an in-home display. We subsequently changed energy suppliers and this wasn't compatible so no longer worked. Since then we've had a succession of different suppliers, none of which offered us a new smart meter.  We're now with Sainsbury's Energy and I recently asked them for one. Apparently we already have a smart gas meter but not a smart electricity meter. Because of this, they can't give us another in-home display.

I find this all very puzzling! The electricity meter must have been smart at some time. I feel that, with fuel charges going up so much, the least they should be doing is offering everyone the technology to enable us to monitor our usage. 

Does anyone understand these meters and how they all work? If so, please enlighten me!!

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You dont need an IHD to monitor your consumption, just read the meter.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • A supplier is only obliged to support the IHD that it provides for 12 months. There are third-party IHDs available for some smart meters/comms hubs from suppliers such as Hildebrand or Chameleon - upwards of £50.
  • Ultrasonic
    Ultrasonic Posts: 4,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is it technically possible for someone to have a working gas smart meter but not electric smart meter? I may be mis-remembering but I thought the data from a gas SM had to pass via the electricity SM to reach the supplier?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 September 2022 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Is it technically possible for someone to have a working gas smart meter but not electric smart meter? I may be mis-remembering but I thought the data from a gas SM had to pass via the electricity SM to reach the supplier?
    I think that the answer is ‘yes’. I have seen photos of some early installations where the comms hub is on its own power supply. Usually, this is because there isn’t enough room for the comms hub to sit above the electricity meter. As far as I know, the gas meter doesn’t communicate directly with the electricity meter. The pairing is between the gas meter and the gas proxy meter in the comms hub.

Sadly, even energy suppliers get it wrong:

‘Smart metering works by the gas sending a reading to the electricity meter and then the electricity meter sends both reads to the IHD, ……’

The comms hub connects with the DCC WAN and establishes the HAN. The IHD connects to the HAN.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 October 2023 at 9:41PM
    Options
    As far as I know, the gas meter doesn’t communicate directly with the electricity meter. The pairing is between the gas meter and the gas proxy meter in the comms hub.

Indeed, that is correct.
    Even when the Comms Hub is mounted on top of the electricity meter, it only takes power from there, the electricity data has to flow over the HAN to the Comms Hub, and yes, I've seen photos of installations with only a gas meter and an independently powered Comms Hub.

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It does feel like the smart meter rollout in this country is half hearted.
  • It was a decision to pass the risk on to suppliers. Life would have been a lot more simple and faster had we gone for the French Linky system. One design of meter built by selected manufacturers. Data transmission via power lines and hubs rather than by mobile and UHF.  We are British, and we know better.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    OP - it would be worth you looking at an app like the Bright App (I think) which can show you the details from your meter - hopefully someone who knows a little more about the subject can give you further details! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • fimacdoodle
    Options
    I understand we are now paying for the national smart meter roll out as of this year. They were not free!
    A perfect storm.
    Again, I change energy companies and the new company cannot or will not read them. 

pointless. imho.......
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I understand we are now paying for the national smart meter roll out as of this year. They were not free!
    We've been paying for it all along. Nothing has changed this year.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure