We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Seed and weed?

Options
Hello! 

First time posting on this section :) 

With the hot weather etc my gardens took a little bit of a hit. I am planning on getting the lawn mower out over the next few days but I've noticed that on the front garden there are lots of weeds, and on the back garden its quite patchy. 

We've used a aerator recently but I'm looking for something to put down to kill the weeds, and re-sow the grass. 

I've no idea which product would be best (Yes I've looked on google....There's lots of choices which is getting confusing..) - Any recommendations? 

Thanks! 

Comments

• twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Mimi is this a huge area?

I a) dig out the weeds with one of the two pronged weed removers b) spread any product with uric acid in it.
    They are all much the same and the grass should grow back without reseeding.

Ditto the seed if you buy it loose you can choose the type of grass you need. Also you would have control about how much.
    Remember to do it before rain forcast and if possible cover it with netting or similar so the pigeons don't get it. That would apply if you used the combined one.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    All together it's a pretty decent sized area... 

We have a ragwort fork (horsey people) - will that do it do I need a 2 prong? 

I'll check for products with uric acid. 

Thanks for the reply! 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Thanks for the reply! 
    One readily available is your own wee, depending on how you feel about it, needs diluting and try not to scare the neighbours ;)

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 September 2022 at 9:36AM
    Options
    Why bother? mono culture lawns are boring, a broad range of species far more interesting and creates your own mini nature reserve. 
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Farway said:

Thanks for the reply! 
    One readily available is your own wee, depending on how you feel about it, needs diluting and try not to scare the neighbours ;)

I think I'll give that one a skip 🤣 
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    It works quicker and more effectively than the stuff you pay for.

Btw the patches on mine that have lingered are already sprouting new grass. Thats zero to lawn in 8weeks with little rain. It will all return with the autumn 'showers'

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Went to the garden centr today and have put down weed killer. I'm going to leave it a week then rake and chuck seeds

(Ended up buying more plants..... Lol!) 

Wish me luck! 

Thanks for the advice 
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to the garden centr today and have put down weed killer. I'm going to leave it a week then rake and chuck seeds

Wish me luck! 

Thanks for the advice 
    What sort of weedkiller did you use?  Is it one that is compatible with grass-seed germination?  If not, you might need to leave it longer than a week!
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Apodemus said:

Wish me luck! 

Thanks for the advice 
    What sort of weedkiller did you use?  Is it one that is compatible with grass-seed germination?  If not, you might need to leave it longer than a week!
    I checked - it isn't compatible ... oops! 

I will leave it over winter now. Then re-seed spring (I think thats the "right" time) then once thats established i can weed it again. 

Thanks for the info though! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure