Vehicle insurance non-renewal "admin" fee

Phoned 7 days before due saying "I did not want to renew my vehicle insurance".
But they had already renewed it, so they refunded me everything except "an admin fee".
Googled to see whether the 14-day cooling off period applies to renewals - but its a vague area.
Any advice?

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    need to see what the T&Cs of the renewal notice says - also which company?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,352 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What sort of vehicle? Is it a consumer or business policy? Is it a broker or direct insurer?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Googled to see whether the 14-day cooling off period applies to renewals - but its a vague area.
    The cancellation rights period is not a free period.  They are allowed to make a charge.  However, it needs to be published.

On your renewal letter, did it state the date you need to have made your decision by? 
    Is this commercial or consumer vehicle insurance?
    Who is making the charge? (the broker that arranged it or the insurer)

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Apologies for the delay.  Renewal letter stated that the fee would be taken 7-days before renewal.  I phoned them 6.75 days before renewal - hence why they took the fee.
    It's a private motorhome - with Devitt Insurance Services (the caravan and motorhome club's broker).
    The broker is taking the fee.
  • Seems fair, you missed the deadline.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family