Student finance loan profile changes

Has anyone else found that Student Finance England has changed its profiling of student maintenance loan payments? Child2 is starting next week profile with the larger payment in April 2023 and with the balance of two lower payments in Sept 2022 and Jan 2023 despite the accommodation fees profile being the opposite with highest payment on 1 October and lower payment in Jan 2023 and lower still in April. For Child1 (just graduated) the autumn term payment was always the higher amount with the two lower payments in Jan and April more in line with the accommodation payment profile. Is this an error by SFE? Or some clever wheeze by government/ SFE to change to profile and make students/ parent fund more upfront. Shortfall in October is (£800 without any expenditure on food/ books) £450 in Jan 23 and £365?

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,781
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    SFE wouldn’t be interested in mapping to hall rent payments, after all a lot of students are in private rentals with equal monthly payments.

Traditionally, the first two payments were larger to cover the term plus holidays, followed by a smaller third payment to cover only the term. With the expectation that students were either working in the Summer and/or living with parents at lower cost.

Could this change reflect term dates in 2022/23? 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback