Is LeisureGuard breaching GDPR rules?

LeisureGuard emailed me to say my travel insurance would renew automatically and I wanted to make sure the payment method they had for me was not, say, an out-of-date credit card. This proved to be impossible online nor was it possible to establish that I had in fact authorised automatic renewals. So I emailed them with no success. They then emailed me to say that my policy had expired but the email contained a handy "Renew" button which actually led me to the 'Get A Quote' page, a particularly crude example of an upselling attempt. Finally they called me and I asked them to tell me whether I had enabled automatic renewals, what financial information I had provided to implement renewals and why this information wasn't available to me online. Since no sensible answers were forthcoming I asked to speak to their Data Protection Officer but they don't have one.

This sort of poor, if not illegal, customer service is becoming only too frequent nowadays usually with no clear method of redress or at best the address of an ombudsman - and good luck with that. It's a worrying downward spiral.

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not a data protection issue as the fact of whether you have auto-renewels on is not sensitive data.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,238
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Looking on the data protection register, they don't have a specific named officer (maybe that requirement was done away with).  They are registered at a specific address, with registration Z1169477.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback