We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Loan to consolidate debts?

Options
Hi all, looking some advice regarding my debt which stands at £13k spread over 4 CCs.  I am in a position were are the cards all 0% interest therefore i'm undecided whether to take out a loan which will have a fee attached or keep plugging away at the CCs. 

My son has finished childcare this month (hooray after 9 years of paying a large chunk) so i will be saving £400 a month for that and a loan i have at £215 finishes end of this month.  i will therefore have an additional £615 a month.  

Mentally i would like to have all cards paid off with the loan and just have the one bill but at the same time i'm thinking i would be taking on more debt taking out a loan. 

Advice thanks! 

Comments

• Tucosalamanca
    Options
    Two sensible choices.
    1. Use the additional £615pm to quickly pay down credit cards, this will require some discipline.
    2. Take a 3yr loan at 3.2% (Tesco), pay off all cards (and maybe cancel them?), know exactly when you'll be debt free and have a few quid spare each month. Repayments of £379 each month and a total interest charge of £642.

Personally, I'd go option 2. Yes it will cost more, but you have a fixed schedule and know exactly when you'll be debt free.
    With option 1, you might not be so committed every month and I think the debts would have a tendency to just drift on.

Good luck with it!
  • TheMilkmansDad
    Options
    How much is on each card and when does the 0% end for each. I'd focus on clearing the one that finishes the earliest first so overpay on that one (ensuring minimum payments are made on the others).

A loan makes no sense at this time.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    I think it seems silly paying interest on a loan when the cards are 0%. 

I'd look at snowballing the debts instead 
  • Lisa1978
    Options
    How much is on each card and when does the 0% end for each. I'd focus on clearing the one that finishes the earliest first so overpay on that one (ensuring minimum payments are made on the others).

MBNA Card 1 = £1600 to January - Will be cleared;  £1000 to August - will be cleared 
    MBNA Card 2 = £1500 to March will be cleared;  £3200 - to Aug 23 (may need to do a transfer at a later date) 
    HSBC = £3500 to Dec 23 - Will be cleared 
    Halifax = £2000 - this is the only one that i spend on and I forgot there will be interest this month.  Previously i had it down to £300 but this month i put a lot onto the card between booking hubbies 40th birthday holiday/concerts/hen do etc.  Yip i know, my bad but didnt' want to use my emergency fund for it. 
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    Lisa1978 said:

MBNA Card 1 = £1600 to January - Will be cleared;  £1000 to August - will be cleared 
    MBNA Card 2 = £1500 to March will be cleared;  £3200 - to Aug 23 (may need to do a transfer at a later date) 
    HSBC = £3500 to Dec 23 - Will be cleared 
    Halifax = £2000 - this is the only one that i spend on and I forgot there will be interest this month.  Previously i had it down to £300 but this month i put a lot onto the card between booking hubbies 40th birthday holiday/concerts/hen do etc.  Yip i know, my bad but didnt' want to use my emergency fund for it. 
    Whilst having an emergency fund is eminently sensible, it would make more sense to use that money to repay in full any of the interest-bearing debts.  Then rebuild it by making monthly payments back to your savings, equivalent to what you would otherwise have to be paying to the debt.  If you should need access to emergency money in the meantime, just use a card - you'll be no worse off.  If you don't need the money then you're quids-in overall, due to the interest you'll have saved.

• SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 13 September 2022 at 4:06PM
    Options
    With those numbers there is no point getting a loan, especially as mentiones above, they will assess you as having the cards unpaid as well. Far better to overpay all the cards by a few £ so that will show on the credit report, pay off the interest free amounts in the order that they finish, roll the payment onto the next card, and then apply for another interest free card next year when you get to the end on these. By that time you will be at a much lower amount and should be in a good position to pay no interest on any of them. At the rate you will be paying them you could be deby free in a relatively short time. 
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure