We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

STEPCHANGE

Options
I recently used Stepchange as I thought it was a budget planner! (My bad). I didn't realise that it was a company/charity that can help with debt problems.
After inputting my data, the results were OK, and I gladly did not need any help.
I then had daily e mails form Stepchange  so logged in to try and delete my account and data. There was no facility to do this, so I e mailed them using the e mail address provided on the website

I received a reply advising that they have to keep my data for 6 years? why? I was just about to e mail them again to ask why.

However, the reply to my e mail (as advised by g mail account ) said to be careful as the e mail came from outside the organisation.
I am now wondering if it is a scam and god knows where my data is??
has anyone had any dealing with them please> Thank You 

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,173 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 September 2022 at 8:59PM
    Options
    Stepchange are a very well-respected debt charity used by millions of people.

Are you sure you went on the genuine site ?

www.stepchange.org ?

Because there are plenty of scam websites, if you were on the genuine site, there`s no need to worry, I can`t see it matters anyway...
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would ask if it was the correct site too, if you go on https://www.stepchange.org/ there is a big orange button saying "get debt help" which makes it clear what they do. Also when I used them the intial advice was all anonymous, it was only when I wanted to set a plan up that I have to enter any personal details.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure