We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Best way to pay off low mortgage please

Options
I took out a 10 year, £40000 mortgage fixed rate for 2 years. Fixed rate term ends end of this month and I will have a final settlement sum of £31,828.
I have £20k I have saved and would like to use this to reduce the remaining debt to around £12K.
What would people suggest as the best/least expensive way to do pay this off quickly? I can get a personal loan of £12K over 3 years for 3.6% 9meaning the loan would cost me around £600) Thanks in advance

Comments

• TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hexham said:
    I took out a 10 year, £40000 mortgage fixed rate for 2 years. Fixed rate term ends end of this month and I will have a final settlement sum of £31,828.
    I have £20k I have saved and would like to use this to reduce the remaining debt to around £12K.
    What would people suggest as the best/least expensive way to do pay this off quickly? I can get a personal loan of £12K over 3 years for 3.6% 9meaning the loan would cost me around £600) Thanks in advance

Sounds a reasonable suggestion. Check that the personal loan allows overpayments as well which would allow you to potentially save some interest.
  • SusieT
    SusieT Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be worth looking at what rate your mortgage provider would give you for a product switch fixed for 3 years and compare it to the loan. 
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement secured loans 30,130/41,000 and 23,156/28,000 End 2027 and 2029
    Mortgage 64,513/100,000 End Nov 2035
    2022 all rolling into new mortgage + extra to finish house. 125,000 End 2036
  • madaboutspots
    Options
    Have you considered hanging on to the £20k and getting an offset mortgage? 
    Add the £20k to the offset account and then all overpayments as well and you’re lowering the loan without penalties and keeping a safety net. 
    Just a thought.
    MFW date 2nd Jan 2024 - task complete YAY!

• Hexham
    Options
    SusieT said:
    It may be worth looking at what rate your mortgage provider would give you for a product switch fixed for 3 years and compare it to the loan. 
    They want  5 years at 4.9%
  • RobM99
    RobM99 Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    What's your Hexham said
    Not 3.6% for 3 years as in your OP?

What's the mortgage rate?  I don't see the point of getting a higher interest loan to pay a low interest loan.
    Now a gainfully employed bassist again - WooHoo!
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 September 2022 at 11:11AM
    Options
    RobM99 said:
    What's your Hexham said
    Not 3.6% for 3 years as in your OP?

What's the mortgage rate?  I don't see the point of getting a higher interest loan to pay a low interest loan.
    The way I'm reading it, the mortgage offer is 4.9% over 5 years, the loan is 3.6% over 3 years.
    OP, if that's the case then it would make sense - with one big caveat.  When you say you can get a loan at 3.6% over 3 years, what are you basing that on?  Remember that lenders will advertise "representative" rates which are given to 51% of successful applicants.  But each application is assessed on the individual's circumstances and credit history - so you may well find that, even if you're accepted for a personal loan, the APR they offer you could be a lot higher than 3.9%.
    One other thought - will there be an early redemption penalty for the mortgage?  I'm guessing probably not once the fixed rate deal comes to an end, but worth just double-checking.

• kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you making sure you have an emergency fund when you put this 20k into the mortgage? 
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think another important question is how quickly do you expect to pay off the 12k?
    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure