PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer accepted on house, paid all fee's etc, now the seller wants it back on the market for higher

Options
2»

Comments

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2022 at 11:53AM
    Options
    To add a tagent to the other posts, I found the OPs starting sentence very interesting.
    rachael1105 said:
    We have got the mortgage agreed, survey done and paid the solicitor fees, came to an agreed price after the survey came back
    This sounds like the OP made an offer which was accepted, formally applied for the mortgage while instructing a solicitor and having a survey done - then on receipt of the survey, reduced the offer.

While not unreasonable on the face of it, I have noticed a trend of first time buyers knocking money off their offers based on the more... questionable... contents of a survey - e.g. recommending complete rewires, replacing all windows with double glazing, insulation, etc. 

I'm obviously reading between the lines here, but if the OP commanded a substantial discount to account for some spurious work that 'needed' to be done, while the vendors were initially accepting, they may have had a change of heart, especially upon realising that the probate process will take a long time regardless - at this point I expect they're just aiming to get the most bang for their buck.

It seems obvious the reason to remarket the property is to gazump the OP.

Unfortunately this is an issue of the UK property process - nothing is legally binding until exchange of contracts... but to get to exchange of contracts, the parties need to chance a grand.
    Know what you don't
  • Shaztastic3000
    Options
    Reduce your offer, stating this reflects the increased risk you now perceive to be associated with this transaction.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "came to an agreed price after the survey came back "

How much did you reduce the price by, feels like you offered an initial price which they may have reluctantly accepted you have now chipped again and have upset on or two of the sellers.

Sometimes to the normal buyer and seller the faults are obvious.. so reducing offers based on obvious faults is a bit of a cheek on the grounds the price has been set based on what you can see, IE the faults.
  • Exodi
    Options
    Reduce your offer, stating this reflects the increased risk you now perceive to be associated with this transaction.
    Making spiteful gestures like this are good to make yourself feel better, but given that the implication is that the vendors want more for the property, would almost certainly end the transaction - in which the OP is already invested.

Do we even know whether the OP is able to buy an equivelant house for their offer price?

While I'm sure the OP would feel great in the few seconds they spend saying "you want more, well I'm reducing my offer! Haha take that suckers!", we are all adults and we should not always do things just for instant gratification.
    Know what you don't
  • jj_43
    jj_43 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    doesn't sounds like it. The many siblings will more likely want to have a fall back buyer than a better price. And the siblings will be more motivated to get the cash quicker for whatever they want to spend it on. Your in a better place than other buyers.
  • Exodi
    edited 13 September 2022 at 2:21PM
    Options
    jj_43 said:
    doesn't sounds like it. The many siblings will more likely want to have a fall back buyer than a better price. And the siblings will be more motivated to get the cash quicker for whatever they want to spend it on. Your in a better place than other buyers.
    This is all just based on assumptions. You don't know how many siblings there are and there's nothing to suggest they would prefer a speedy transaction over a better price - the suggestion that they are remarketing the house to find a 'fallback buyer' is certainly a new concept to me and doesn't seem like a particularly good strategy considering it will almost certainly p*ss the current buyer off. What do you think will happen if the fallback buyer offers £20k more than the OP?

I wouldn't say the OP is in a 'better place than other buyers' either - they are already invested in the property, they lose money by not completing.
    Know what you don't
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Let them put on market [you can't really prevent them from doing so].
    Now price is falling, so they are unlikely to get higher offers. You can then reduce your offer. 
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback