We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unwanted Account-Scottish Power

Options
I have an account, currently in credit, for gas and electricity with Scottish Power. I have recently been receiving increasingly threatening demands, from them, for a separate account at my address for electricity only. Despite numerous phone calls, letters and emails telling them  I have no connection to the  account, nothing has been done. What more can I do?

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you made a formal complaint yet, in accordance with their procedures?  If not, do so.  Whingeing to customer service people often fails to achieve anything, as they don't have the authority to fix difficult problems.

If that doesn't fix it, there's the energy ombudsman.  But you need to go down the complaint route first, or else the ombudsman will reject your complaint.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 September 2022 at 7:16AM
    Options
    Just as a wally check, a few thoughts - do the meter serial numbers at your address correspond to those on the bills for the "wanted account".

Then - focusing on the "unwanted account" - is there a meter number for that which is unknown I presume (not duplicate of wanted account).   If the readings are low numbers (maybe much lower than your wanted electricity meter readings) it suggests a new meter, or high then an old one.  

Unless someone is using a secret meter, I presume theyre just billing for standing charges plus estimates, since there's nothing to read.  Maybe invite them to come and read this fictitious meter.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • patiogreen
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I have lodged a formal complaint and invited Scottish Power to search for another meter. Only estimated reading for one day but added charges bring it to over £200.
    all my requests to speak to a manager are rebuffed. Customer Services worse than useless. Will do the Wally test.
    If anyone has a phone number for a director please let me have it.
    It is hard to believe there is a more inept organisation.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,424 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are the electricity meter serial numbers on the two accounts different and do either of them match what you have on your wall?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. I have lodged a formal complaint and invited Scottish Power to search for another meter. Only estimated reading for one day but added charges bring it to over £200.
    all my requests to speak to a manager are rebuffed. Customer Services worse than useless. Will do the Wally test.
    If anyone has a phone number for a director please let me have it.
    It is hard to believe there is a more inept organisation.
    I’m afraid I must agree with you  :D. We changed to Scottish Power after our company went bust.  They wanted our meter readings and we sent them, their reaction was “we don’t believe you, you can’t have used that little power”.  We had sent them a photo of the readings.  We gave them all our details of how/why we hadn’t used much electricity, they still wouldn’t believe us.  My husband, who could argue for England, spoke to the Ombudsman and they sorted it out.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure