BT or Virgin?

Options
Hello

I was wondering if people could give me some advice. I've just moved in to my new house, the previous owners were using Virgin for their phone line and Internet, however there is also a BT line coming to the house.

My requirements are basically that I won't be using the landline much to make calls, but I do need unlimited-usage broadband, ideally 8mb.

What would be the best option for me - BT or Virgin cable? Going with Virgin, I could get the 2 for £20 package (Phone + Broadband), but their broadband is only 2mb. If I go with BT, it's £10.50 line rental, and then Be Value Internet seems spot on, which is £14/month + £24 setup.

Any other options/combonations people can suggest?

Thanks!

Comments

• diamonds
    diamonds Posts: 6,048 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    get L broadband for 25.00 and use VOIP, id haggle a discount with self install as all the connections are there so need for first time Virgin point installation costs to them, I upgraded to 2MB self install for 10.00 a month only for 12 months as I had the Telewest lines from my previous install, usually 2MB is 18.00 alone

I then 3 days later after install tried to haggle the L tv package and got both for 20.00 ( usual £25 ) as that was my intention all along
    SO... now England its the Scots turn to say dont leave the UK, stay in Europe with us in the UK, dont let the tories fool you like they did us with empty lies... You will be leaving the UK aswell as Europe ;)
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    from virgin media you can get broadband (2mb) for £4.50 per month when you take the phone line for £11.
    Plus you get £55 cashback if you signup via quidco making the broadband free really
  • Sunni_2
    Options
    How good is Virgin broadband? I've heard it crawls to snail's pace in the evenings?

And I'm guessing 2mg will get me about 120kb/sec download speed? On Be internet at another home I get 900kb/sec...
  • netdumdum
    Options
    I have been with Virgin Media/ Telewest for several years now and would recommend them.

I have had no probs with their broadband unlike my mother in law who has just changed to Sky and has had various problems from day one!
    You can't con an honest man!
  • Sunni_2
    Options
    I was going to signup to BT, but they want £125 for the line, which is not gonna happen!

Spoke to Virgin, they offered me 20mb broadband, weekends and evening free calls, and L TV for £30 a month which isn't bad, but reading on the net I can't find a single good review for Virgin Media. The Broadband seems to be very bad, limiting you if you download 350mb in an evening! I download maybe 3x that amount in the evenings daily...

£15.50 + £55 cashback via Quidco seems like a good cheap option, but the 2mb with limiting is a huge negative point for me...
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sunni wrote: »
    I was going to signup to BT, but they want £125 for the line, which is not gonna happen!

Spoke to Virgin, they offered me 20mb broadband, weekends and evening free calls, and L TV for £30 a month which isn't bad, but reading on the net I can't find a single good review for Virgin Media. The Broadband seems to be very bad, limiting you if you download 350mb in an evening! I download maybe 3x that amount in the evenings daily...

£15.50 + £55 cashback via Quidco seems like a good cheap option, but the 2mb with limiting is a huge negative point for me...

there is a way around the capping but probably not aloud to post it here
  • Teterow
    Teterow Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    I have been thinking about BT vs Virgin too.
    Decided against Sky now, and bought a Freeview Box.

Need broadband though, and I am already a Virgin Mobile customer. Wouldn't use the landline for calling either.
    So do you reckon Virgin has a good offer there?

Oh yes, does anyone know how the Virgin service is in cardiff?
    Challenges:
    3 NSD per week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family