Repeating a year

Hi
My son failed 2 modules in his 1st year last year and has got his timetable which shows he has to repeat the year, those modules only. He has autism, receives disabled student support alongside PIP and I feel the uni have failed to support him. It has only been through very direct questioning I've found this out and now neither of us know what happens to his student finance. He applied thinking he was going onto year 2 but now is effectively part time this year. What do we do?
Thank you 

Comments

• olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,264
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    edited 12 September 2022 at 8:04PM
    I don't know what level of course your son is taking so can only tell you what's happened with my daughter, who failed her second year of her degree course for health reasons.

Her uni are allowing her to repeat her second year with no tuition fees. She's also getting the full maintenance loan (but she will be full time, not sure what happens with part-time studies). The uni are really helping with her health issues and have been really supportive.

Perhaps the first port of call for your son should be his college/uni and get their advice?

Edited to add, does the college offer financial help? When I was p/t at uni, I was able to apply for the same help as f/t  students
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback