New router, same SSID but a few items wont connect

Options
My router type thing at home was starting to get flaky and given its involved in home security, home entertainment etc decided to replace it with the latest version of the same Linksys Velop family. Set up the new nodes to mirror the SSID and password of the original and 28 of our 35 devices have automatically connected to it without needing any intervention. 

The 7 exceptions are some smart bulbs (but other identical ones are connecting fine) and it would be a real pain in the backside to have to reset them all and reconnect them... anyone have any other suggestions on how to get them to reconnect without resetting? Done the obvious "turn them on and off again".

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are the devices that don't connect in a certain area?  Do they connect if they are moved closer to the router?  It could be a difference in Wi-Fi broadcasting coverage.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,395 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    wongataa said:
    Are the devices that don't connect in a certain area?  Do they connect if they are moved closer to the router?  It could be a difference in Wi-Fi broadcasting coverage.
    no, they are in two different clusters of which the larger is in the same room as the router and other items are both closer and further and connect property. 
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    any on static IP's?
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options
    There aren't any static IPs
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Check the DHCP has enough entries.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do you have both the 2.4 & 5g bands turned on - my smart bulbs only connect on 2.4g
  • Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is the security protocol the same - WPA2 - PSK etc....?

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • k_man
    k_man Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If some devices of the same type work then it is possibly an IP address conflict, (rather than a protocol/band issue)
    e.g. the non working devices are using IP addresses assigned by the old router, but the new router has assigned the same addresses to other devices (many home routers don't prevent this).

This usually sorts itself out after restarting the offending devices (which should cause them to ask for new addresses), or after a few hours.

Is this still a problem a day later?
  • DullGreyGuy
    edited 13 September 2022 at 5:59PM
    Options
    k_man said:
    If some devices of the same type work then it is possibly an IP address conflict, (rather than a protocol/band issue)
    e.g. the non working devices are using IP addresses assigned by the old router, but the new router has assigned the same addresses to other devices (many home routers don't prevent this).

This usually sorts itself out after restarting the offending devices (which should cause them to ask for new addresses), or after a few hours.

Is this still a problem a day later?
    Thanks for the suggestion... same problem about a week later with the devices (but not the router) being turned on/off many times

2.4hz and 5hz are both active and it initially copied the original setting with was WPA2... I did after a day or so try changing it to WPA2 & WPA3 and that didn't change the situation for any devices

Check the DHCP has enough entries.
    How would I check this @getmore4less? Linksys claim each node can support 50 devices and we have 2 nodes and less than 50 devices in total
  • poppellerant
    Options
    Do the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands have the same ID? If so, temporarily disable the 5GHz and try to connect the bulbs to the 2.4Gz band before turning the 5GHz back on.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback