Electric Garage Door

I've had two quotes to change the garage door and install and electric one.

Roller door (Hormann both) - £1595 company A, £1800 company B
Sectional door (Hormann again) - £2500 company B

Are these reasonable quotes? I'd prefer a sectional door because it looks smarter, but it seems very high. The Roller Doors also seem high.

It includes light grey colour choice, and an external opener (as no other access to the garage).

Thank you

Comments

• £2200 for Hormann sectional, standard white, standard finish .
    Installed Nov 2018 pre Brexit, pre kamikazi wrecking of exchange rates,
    and just before a Horman price increase.
    Location = North Wales. Local company with history of good installations but minus salespeople and showroom i.e. overheads less than national companies. Quotes done by visit by company director who was also one of installation team of two.
    Roller was recommended to me, was cheaper but preferred sectional for its better insulation & potential security.
    Very happy with job and vast improvement on drafty Henderson up-and-over.

You could get a lower price by using a non Hormann door but Hormann recommended for its engineering.

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TomOrrow said:

You could get a lower price by using a non Hormann door but Hormann recommended for its engineering.

I'd also say that Hormann are much more likely to still be in business if you need spare parts for your door ever. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Kuly
    Kuly Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I had a hormann sectional double door fitted about 7 years ago now. Think the cost was around 2k. Not sure if yours is single or double but given a single in woodgrain finish costs around £1500 I would say its OK. 
    Benefit of roller over sectional is that you don't lose headroom in the garage when door is open. However, if it is not face fit you do lose internal length when door is closed. Face fit is basically inside out too so does not look great.
  • I would prefer a sectional door because I think they are more reliable

• Thank you all. I have indeed gone with a Hormann sectional. I decided, given it was going to be the last spend on the house for a long time given rates and cost of living, I wanted to get something reliable, well constructed and which hopefully won't throw any costly issues. I'm looking forward to it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback