1471 Call return fees on BT

Options
New poster so apologies and excuse my ignorance if this has been raised before.

Just checked my itemised BT phone bill and under a section marked 'Call return fees' I have been charged for 4 calls to 1471. I'm on BT Together option 1.

Does this mean I have been charged simply for dialling 1471 or is is because I have pressed 3 to return the call?

If it is the latter, is this fee in addition to the standard call charge of the call being made? - If so, would it be advisable to just dial 1471, write the last number called down then hang up and redial the number longhand?

Thanks

Comments

• wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    If it is the latter, is this fee in addition to the standard call charge of the call being made? - If so, would it be advisable to just dial 1471, write the last number called down then hang up and redial the number longhand?

yes :)....................
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• carolinela
    Options
    i believe its because you pressed 3. i would get a pen and paper and call back.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Options
    Pressing the 3 (after 1471) will get you a 'call return' charge from BT and you will still have to pay for the phone call as normal.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Pressing the 3 (after 1471) will get you a 'call return' charge from BT and you will still have to pay for the phone call as normal.
    The same applies if you press zero after picking up a 1571 message.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • rups
    Options
    In each of my last 3 BT bills I have been charged once for a 1471 return call at 12p. We never press 3 and use the ring back service! It is odd that this only appears once on each bill and always timed between 7 and 8pm! Its not much and so many people would not notice or ignore it. But if BT are doing this to millions of people, its a substantial addition to their profits! Suggest people check their bills.

I had a similar issue on a bill in 2009, when I had 3 1471 fees on a single bill and BT refunded them.

I'm going to ask for a refund again out of principle and may make a complaint if some other Moneysavers report the same is happening on their bills.
  • romana1924
    Options
    Not sure if this is closed?
    On my latest BT bill I have been charged a fee for using 1471- I have seven of these charges but as I keep a close watch on bills I know I only used the press 3 once- so BT have charged me for using 1471- 6 times just for using 1471? be gentle this is my first time on this site.
  • everwatchful
    Options
    I'm also sure that I never pressed '3' after dialing 1471, but have for the first time ever been charged for it on my latest bill. Could this be a system error or a systematic way of extracting a few pence from lots of people.
  • nbinblack
    nbinblack Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    They definitely seem to be charging for it, my dad has commented that he has been charged on his bill for 1471's and he never uses 3.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Whilst you may be smart enough not to use the 1471-3 function, Does this apply to all using the phone line? The last issue I looked into revealed it was a family member who was completely unaware of the additional costs. I honestly doubt BT are randomly selecting customers to make pin money additional revenue.
  • saver_sam
    saver_sam Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was charged for this on my current phone bill. I know its something I do not use, as I have caller ID that displays the last number for me so would never have the need to press 1471. Strangely the bill calls did not show who I supposedly rung either. Have got my 17p back from BT. Principle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure