Raw Fed Dog

Options
Hi my dog is raw fed and has thrived on it since bringing her home from dogs trust where she was fed dry food . We used this for a few weeks and we could never pick up her toilet we then tried tails dog food and forth glade before going raw this is the only thing we have found so far that makes it easy to clear up after her . I have today been advised her food will increase in price by 13p per tub she has 3/4 of a tub a day its quite an increase i am just wondering does anyone else mix dry with raw and find this works well ?
Slava Ukraini

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 September 2022 at 5:22PM
    Options
    The purist raw feeders always say not to mix. I’m never sure whether there’s any scientific basis to this or whether it’s because of some them can be quite snotty about those of us who feed kibble. 
    I suspect the latter. 
    Personally I’d give it a go with a good quality dry and see what happens. It’s all just food at the end of the day. 
    Do you know of there’s any specific ingredients that she reacts to? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bellabella
    bellabella Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Unfortunatly no i just know raw is the only thing so far that i feed which makes clearing up after her possible i will have a read up on the best dry and see which brands do small bags to try 
    Slava Ukraini
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 September 2022 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Have a look on here. 
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/
    Orijen has good ratings - not tried it because mine is fine with some of the cheaper stuff once I’d worked out what triggered his colitis. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You might be able to get free samples if you contact the manufacturers direct. Your other option is to raw feed from scratch but that requires a lot of dedication & research- one of my friends does it for her dogs and her freezer is full of all kinds of things!

Very rarely she gives them Bella & Duke
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,239 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My friend feeds kibble and raw with no problems. Her dogs are in prime condition.

She uses Nutriment and  Millies Wolfheart kibble.

Top quality dry food will not be cheap.

I used Durham Animal feeds raw minces. As they are no extras in it they tend to be cheaper than the tubs with verg. etc. added.

They have suppliers nationwide.

• bellaboo86
    Options
    Yes, I feed my dogs a mix of raw and dry. My main reason was that if there was ever a reason they couldn’t have the raw, the change wouldn’t upset their stomachs. I’d say their diet is probably 75% raw. 
    As someone else said, Durham animal feeds is good. In addition to the 1lb blocks, they also do 1.5kg blocks which work out cheaper. I just keep half in a Tupperware container in the fridge until the next day. You can also buy it direct from them as opposed to stockists but they only deliver 1 day  a week on my area. 
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many purists will say now, but have a read of this recent thread by Mark Roberts (and long comments section):

suggesting that it's very common for people to mix raw and non-raw and there is no evidence of resulting problems.

• PennyForThem_2
    Options
    Cat - but I feed raw and dry.    No problem with stools which are hard and dry.  I know it is different animal so don't have a go at me :)
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're paying for your raw dog food, but I use https://www.theyloveit.co.uk/  and it works out a lot cheaper than many commercial brands. They supply 10kg packs of complete mince in 500g blocks for £27/32 with free delivery. Their range is rather limited at the moment, but they do lots of add-ons and it's worth checking regularly to see what is in stock.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure