Mortgage Offer £3k more than we owe. Accept and overpay?

Options
Hi

I'll make this a short and straightforward as possible.

Current HSBC Fix ends 30/09/2022.  Received an offer from Virgin at end of March for what we owed at the time (offer expires 28/09/22).  

We are now wanting to arrange a completion date however the offer we received is now over £3k more than we currently owe as we have obviously made further payments.  So my question is, do we agree a completion date based on the offer and then immediately pay the difference off the mortgage?  What are the pros and cons of doing this?  Or do I ask my broker to go back to Virgin to ask for a reduced offer?

Thanks

Comments

• penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You agree a completion to coincide with the end of the first mortgage. The conveyancer then gets a completion statement and gets the new mortgage firm to pay the old one
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You accept the offer and the conveyancing firm sorts out the correct value at the relevant time
  • K_S
    K_S Posts: 6,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hufc2002 said:
    Hi

I'll make this a short and straightforward as possible.

Current HSBC Fix ends 30/09/2022.  Received an offer from Virgin at end of March for what we owed at the time (offer expires 28/09/22).  

We are now wanting to arrange a completion date however the offer we received is now over £3k more than we currently owe as we have obviously made further payments.  So my question is, do we agree a completion date based on the offer and then immediately pay the difference off the mortgage?  What are the pros and cons of doing this?  Or do I ask my broker to go back to Virgin to ask for a reduced offer?

Thanks
    @hufc2022 As an applicant, in your place I would just overpay any surplus amount into the mortgage once the conveyancer paid it into my account after completion. As a broker, I'd hope the client would do the same and spare me the hassle of adjusting the offer downwards for a relatively minor amount :)

The main cons that I can think of are that you may end up paying 1-2 days interest on the £3,000 extra borrowing, and the £3,000 overpayment will use up part of the 10% annual overpayment allowance for your new Virgin mortgage.

The main pro is that you can leave things undisturbed.

I don't know about Virgin, but some lenders will not allow a surplus of more than x for a like-for-like remo, in which case usually the solicitor will do the necessary adjustment required.

I am a Mortgage Adviser - You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. 

PLEASE DO NOT SEND PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback