Solar Together Quote. Please advise.

I have read all the information I can find on prices for a solar set-up and thank you to the people who spend their time answering queries. I have this quote from the company selected to install in our county from Solar Together. I am waiting for other quotes but have received a contract to sign and pay 10% deposit. I am wondering whether I should just go ahead as there seems to be a long wait time now and we could have it installed by November.

JA Solar JAM54S31 395W Solar PV Panels
Growatt Hybrid Inverter
Online Monitoring
Cables & Mounting System
Electric Bundle
£7,570.00

Battery Storage Package
Growatt GBLI6532 6kW Battery Storage System
£4,595.00

Included In Both Packages
Onsite Survey
Installation
Hies Registration
Guarantees and Warranties
£0.00

Additional Costs
Additional Scaffolding for cost for multiple roofs
£500.00
VAT 0%
£0.00
Total Due
£12,665.00

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Not great, for the same price I'm getting an 8kW array and the same battery done, with bird netting. Hopefully installed today.

I'd definitely wait for more quotes.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • Sibelius
    Sibelius Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your reply. I feel this is a high quote but I'm just worried that there may be a long wait if I don't take this offer.
    I think I need to stop panicking!
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2022 at 8:08AM
    During winter Mon you're looking at missing out on at most £100 a month, probably less. If you delay three months but save £500 you're better off.

The only down side is if the cost of installation goes up due to demand. Most of the rest of the world isn't suffering as much as us so I don't think the global demand for panels is up as much as the UK.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • Sibelius
    Yes, I have just done that calculation myself. I am a bit suspicious too because I had three days from receipt of the contract email to accept which sent me into a bit of a spin. Looking at the other quotes on here I will definitely wait for a better offer. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,162 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sibelius said:
    Thank you for your reply. I feel this is a high quote but I'm just worried that there may be a long wait if I don't take this offer.
    I think I need to stop panicking!
    Sorry to have to say that you are being ripped off. That's a £4900 "budget" system at best (without the battery). I would not proceed. Where are you located?
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Triple aspect. (22% ENE/ 33% SSE/ 45% WSW)
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

Feel free to DM me if I can help with any energy saving!
  • Sibelius
    I'm in Bedfordshire. I've contacted several companies now to chase up quotes I did online. None of the companies are taking on new clients until next year. One company told me batteries are going up by 5 - 25% in the near future. The ball-park figures I asked for were all around the same price. e.g. 12 panels £8250 plus 7Kw battery £11650. We have a split flat roof so we would need additional scaffolding. The question is to wait or to go for it - it feels like a gamble. We could start saving by November or maybe wait and prices go up, or down. The other factor is that the money is an inheritance that is sitting losing value.
  • Screwdriva
    edited 31 August 2022 at 10:33AM
    There is quite a surge in installer demand but I would not allow pressure tactics employed by them to influence your decision. I would also suggest not investing in a battery at this stage for the following 4 reasons:

1. Energy export prices continue to increase and will likely stay high for the foreseeable. You will be paid a lot when selling your energy via Outgoing Agile, making any financial advantage from a battery marginal at best. 

2. Vehicle to Home charging (V2H) is a massive disruption and is on the verge of being launched, making a home battery largely redundant when you purchase an EV.

3. Ethically speaking, batteries are made in China, where conditions are poor and the embedded carbon cost of manufacture is high. Given the limited supply, that lithium is far more effective in a car where it is offsetting against much higher emissions (vs. a home with PV).

4. Batteries are modular. They can be added at a later time when they are likely to be more needed, available, capable and evolved. 

I would review a couple more quotes at a minimum. 
    -  10 x 400w LG + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial Panels + SE 3680 HD Wave Inverter + SE Optimizers. SE London.
    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (the most efficient gas boiler sold)

• Sibelius
    Thank you Screwdriva. The reason I was thinking about getting a battery with the installation is because you save the 20% VAT on it. What do you think of an iboost? We have an immersion heater and use oil.
  • Screwdriva
    edited 31 August 2022 at 12:28PM
    Sibelius said:
    Thank you Screwdriva. The reason I was thinking about getting a battery with the installation is because you save the 20% VAT on it. What do you think of an iboost? We have an immersion heater and use oil.
    Yes, you do save VAT. But you save alot more by not installing a battery at all :smile: Also, batteries are improving every year so waiting will mean you will get substantially improved capability in a few years.

We did consider an iBoost but again, Agile Outgoing solar export prices are so high that heating hot water just doesn't make financial sense. Before the increases, we invested in a wireless Spur switch instead and wirelessly turned on the immersion heater whenever our solar generation was in excess of 3kWh (the current draw of an immersion heater). ~£50 vs. ~£500.

If we were going to get a hot water diverter, it would be the Myenergi Eddi as it integrates with their EV charger really well. 

• Sibelius
    So I have decided to step back and take more time to come to a decision with other quotes in mind. I am also worried as when I asked about structural calculations I was told that the at the survey my roof was deemed suitable. The installer categorically said he would not look at the roof (flat) as he wasn't insured so I don't know how he could determine it was structurally safe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback