PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Allowing seller to temporarily leave furniture

Hello,

For various reasons, our seller would like to leave some furniture and possessions in the house for a week after we complete. We are not planning to move into the property for another month, so this is no inconvenience to us, but I would like to understand the legal position given both the contract and our mortgage agreement state that the property is sold as vacant possession.

Assuming there is trust between the two parties, are we as the buyer leaving ourselves open to any issues with either the mortgage company or anything else after completion? I know this kind of arrangement is not unheard of, but I'm trying to better understand the legal ramifications before any agreement is made.

Thanks,
SL

Comments

• I should clarify - they are of course moving out and handing over the keys, and we do in fact plan to change the locks the day we complete.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Leaving anything behind that they plan to collect later is not vacant possession, do they want to keep a key as well? I've moved into a few houses where the seller has inadvertently left items, including an entire crockery cupboard once and I've dropped it off or they've collected the next day but wouldn't agree to it beforehand.
  • Yes, it's not vacant possession, so they are technically in breach of the contract. However, because of the situation if we do not come to an agreement on this, there's a chance the deal does not complete. I want to understand what risk we leave ourselves open to as buyers.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    we did similar, let the buyers leave a big fridge freezer in the garage for a couple of weeks.  All good but make sure they sign a piece of paper where you state it is at their risk and you will not insure it.
  • Yes, the insurance question has come up as well. For a single item like a fridge that's probably a risk worth taking, but this is all their furniture in a four bed house.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,967 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Your mortgage lender won't care whose furniture is in the house.

Your risks are...being stuck with somebody else's furniture for longer than you'd like (and/or other junk - how are you going to check what they've left?).

Their property won't be insured by your policy.

They might accuse you of causing damage to or losing items.
  • PoisonIvy
    PoisonIvy Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 August 2022 at 9:40PM
    I wouldn't, simply because the risk is too high that they won't have it out by the time you're ready to move in. If they can't have it out by completion, chances are they won't be able to have it all out when you really need it to be.

I allowed the seller of my first place to leave some items behind for "just a few days" (bed, wardrobe, some other bits of furniture). He wound up collecting just the bed, saying "you can have the rest of the furniture" as if he was doing me a great favour by leaving me a knackered wardrobe and tatty dining chairs. In the end I wound up having to pay the council to take the rest to the tip. It was only £25 or so to get it taken away, but this was a couple bits of furniture, not the contents of a 4 bed house.
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Why not ask your solicitor about the legal risk? They can advise what the risk is without modifying the contract. It is up to you whether to accept it.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2022 at 9:43PM
    Can you delay completion?  I presume you have already exchanged contracts.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback