We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Red roses too

Options
twopenny
twopenny Posts: 5,557 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
Would like a red bush rose that grows to a nice shape and the blooms don't go manky in rain.
Must have scent and be trouble free.

Is there such a thing?

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'm not big on roses but I had success with Royal William in a previous house in the 1990s so tried it again a couple of years ago.

Seems trouble free and nicely scented.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you Fatbelly, I had a look for it at the local garden centre but no sign. A good excuse to go to the further away ones and include a large cheese scone.

I did think what I was asking was a stage too far.
    I also looked at the roses they've got but the constant supply of new cultivars are mostly scentless and a lot of the flowers browning at the edges.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Sapindus
    Sapindus Posts: 392 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems to me that most red roses I sniff have hardly any scent.  The most delicious scented rose I know of is Rosa rugosa which is a sort of cerise colour.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I can't remember were I bought mine -  you could try mail order. It seems some nurseries do stock it
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rosa Rugosa isn't a neat tidy bush- if I remember rightly it can grow 6ft tall & 6ft wide. Makes good hedging- lovely big hips but evil thorny stems!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cannot help with variety but agree that scent is important. Our local park has a scented garden,designed with people of restricted sight in mind. It is surrounded by hedge and paths have pergola with plants chosen for scent and is a lovely place in early evening at right time of year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback