Options
2»

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,986 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JCS1 said:
    Are you not confusing two separate things? The requirement from your local council for a licence, and the £1,000 threshold before having to register as self employed with HMRC.

No, they are not. If you read the link posted by MalMonroe above you'll see that there is an exception to the  requirement for a licence for 'occasional' dog-sitters that don't earn more that £1000 a year
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,294 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JCS1 said:
    Are you not confusing two separate things? The requirement from your local council for a licence, and the £1,000 threshold before having to register as self employed with HMRC.

No, they are not. If you read the link posted by MalMonroe above you'll see that there is an exception to the  requirement for a licence for 'occasional' dog-sitters that don't earn more that £1000 a year

But they will also need to register as self employed (if not already done)
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 August 2022 at 9:43AM
    Options
    Joli2022 said:
    @Nearlyold thank you for your advice. All of you. I think I will call council in the morning. I think it’s strange that you can earn under a £1000 but once you reach the limit you have to apply for a licence…so basically in my head it works like this…I hit £1000 close business and apply for licence, I lose earnings and customers get the licence and have to start all over again…
    It's not really strange if you think about it, there would be an expectation that someone approaching the limit would realise they are going to need a licence and apply for it in good time. An income of £1,000 pa from doggy day-care at a typical charge of around £20ish for a full day is just one dog one day a week.

The £1,000 pa limit for turnover is not a specific concession for pet care it applies to any self-employed business (if your self-employed business turnover is under £1,000 you don't need to register for self-assessment). Not requiring a licence for your day care business is/was incidental to the rationale of the turnover limit. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback