New to Solar
in Green & ethical MoneySaving
4 replies 166 views
I am wondering if anyone can help. I have just had a solar system fitted with a Pylontech battery and Solis inverter. The installed capacity of the panesl is 3.6kWp and the battery is a US2000C. I am a low user of electricity and export the majority of what we make to the grid at the moment.I've applied to Scottish Power for an SEG payment which seems to be 5.6p per kWh. At the moment I am on a fixed rate until 2024 for the electricity I use from the grid but obviously prices are getting higher and higher. The battery is charging from the grid in the early hours of the morning, which to me seems wasteful as the money I can make from exporting is a fraction of the cost of importing. Obviously as the summer draws to a close the battery will run down even faster and presumably import more to charge it up. What I would like to know is the following:
- How low should the battery be allowed to go to before it begins recharging - I believe it is set to around 18% at present. I know it can't go too low if I want the longest possible battery life.
- Is it possible to set the system so that the battery never charges from the grid but just stops discharging when it reaches the set lower limit?
- If this is not possible, would it damage the battery to manually switch it off at night as we go to bed before it hits the lower limit and then switch it back on again in the morning once the sun starts shining?
- If I can't do this, what is the most efficient way to manage the settings?
- Finally, unless you have a cheap night rate what is the point of charging the battery from the grid at all? It would seem far more sensible to just run the house from the grid once the battery runs down and then recharge the battery once it can be recharged from the solar system.
Latest MSE News and Guides
Did you know there's an MSE app?
It's free & available on iOS & AndroidMSE App
Regifting: good idea or not?
Add your two cents to the discussionMSE Forum
Energy Price Guarantee calculator
How much you'll likely pay from AprilMSE Tools
My standard settings are load first, battery second, any excess to grid. No charging of batteries from grid.
I rarely charge from the grid but if I want to I have to go into the app or online settings and alter them to do it. It appears your system has been set to do this every night. Are you able to access the settings yourself to cancel this? You Tube vids helped me understand the settings but you could always ask your installer to change them.
Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
Octopus Flux electric and Tracker gas
I think something is wrong with your set-up or your battery is faulty.
- It depends on the battery. The minimum charge is usually between 10% and 20%
- That should be the default. My battery stops discharging when it reaches 10% but will leak charge slowly over many hours so if it ever gets down to 5% it will charge from the grid up to 15%. But that would only ever happen after days of cloudy weather
Thanks for your help and any other suggestions anyone has.