Advice Please

Options
Walaboobah
Walaboobah Posts: 307 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
edited 23 August 2022 at 5:31PM in Energy
I was on a Fixed Rate for Electricity that ran out in November 2020, in my account it says I am on the SVR but my bill shows me still being billed on the fixed rate.

My worry is that even though it is their error that they may try and backdate my energy usage for nearly 2 years!

Should I stay quiet and hope it continues?  

Thoughts....

Edit... I worked out from my latest bill that I am paying around £250 less than the SVR

Comments

• BUFF
    BUFF Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    in your situation I don't think that they could backdate more than a year but I don't claim to be an expert ...
  • Alnat1
    Alnat1 Posts: 3,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow, what rates have you got?
    Barnsley, South Yorkshire
    Solar PV 5.25kWp SW facing (14 x 375 Longi) Lux 3.6kw hybrid inverter and 4.8kw Pylontech battery storage installed March 22
    Octopus Agile/Fixed Outgoing and Tracker gas
  • Astria
    Astria Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2022 at 5:44PM
    Options
    So have you built up a credit in your energy account?
    Personally I'd leave it a bit and see if you get a notification of tariff change for the upcoming price cap in October.
    The official wording is:
    You can’t be charged for gas or electricity used more than 12 months ago if you have not been correctly billed for it, or informed about it via a statement of account, before. This includes situations where a supplier increases your Direct Debit because it was set too low. Suppliers cannot use this to recover any shortfall for a period longer than 12 months ago.

• Walaboobah
    edited 23 August 2022 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Astria said:
    So have you built up a credit in your energy account?
    Personally I'd leave it a bit and see if you get a notification of tariff change for the upcoming price cap in October.
    The official wording is:
    You can’t be charged for gas or electricity used more than 12 months ago if you have not been correctly billed for it, or informed about it via a statement of account, before. This includes situations where a supplier increases your Direct Debit because it was set too low. Suppliers cannot use this to recover any shortfall for a period longer than 12 months ago.

Yes about £800 in credit at the moment, yes I think i'll hold off for now and see what happens for the new price cap
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    Alnat1 said:
    19p Standing charge and 14p kwh
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    I've checked my account and I was notified of gas tariff changes dating back to April 2021 but not for electricity
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,154 Forumite
    Options
    Alnat1 said:
    Do you live anywhere near west Kent?  If so, can I come round and charge all my devices for 15p per kWh?  :)
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    Alnat1 said:
    Do you live anywhere near west Kent?  If so, can I come round and charge all my devices for 15p per kWh?  :)
    Sadly not 😁😁
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,284 Forumite
    Options
    Astria said:
    The official wording is:
    There is an exception though...
    Yes about £800 in credit at the moment, yes I think i'll hold off for now and see what happens for the new price cap
    They can use any payments made during the period so that £800 credit can be applied to any billing correction made, as it is considered as a payment and hence no 'bill shock' results.
    ... and asking for the credit to be refunded doesn't get around it as they are allowed to reverse any refunds of credit when they apply the billing correction...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback