🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Government power blackouts and solar PV

Options
13»

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    70sbudgie said:
    I would suggest that anyone who has batteries investigates their ability to force export. 😉 

Unless the inverter is designed to support islanded mode, that will be difficult.  The inverter will wait for a little while between being turned on and generating, so that it can monitor the mains and synchronize itself to the grid.

In theory, you could try to synchronize it to a generator, but get it wrong and you could have an exploding generator to deal with.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • 70sbudgie
    70sbudgie Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ectophile said:
    70sbudgie said:
    I would suggest that anyone who has batteries investigates their ability to force export. 😉 

Unless the inverter is designed to support islanded mode, that will be difficult.  The inverter will wait for a little while between being turned on and generating, so that it can monitor the mains and synchronize itself to the grid.

In theory, you could try to synchronize it to a generator, but get it wrong and you could have an exploding generator to deal with.
    Sorry, I didn't mean during a blackout. I meant that it will probably be quite financially lucrative if you can export between 4pm and 7pm during the winter months. Those of us with only PV will struggle to do that. 

As
    ed110220 said:
    Doesn't this all suggest that the forecast problem is a lack of capacity, rather than a lack of gas? Ie something separate from the current energy crisis and something that should have been foreseen well before it?

If the problem was a gas shortage, power cuts wouldn't be limited to times of highest demand.

This is a capacity issue. It isn't the first time that NG have warned of blackouts at this time of year, for the coming months. The over capacity margin has been shrinking for several years. This has a lot to do with how NG include intermittent generation (most renewables) in their calculations. The back up spare capacity is usually provided by ff generation and this year, as we all know, that has a lower certainty factor associated with it. 

As renewables / intermittent generation capacity increases, grid balancing services become more important. There have been loads of innovative trials going on for these from voltage regulation to demand side management (commercial and now seemingly domestic) to different storage / battery materials (cryogenic, sand, iron, pumped hydro is back). Even the current scare mongering is a sort of demand side management - if everyone expects blackouts, hopefully enough people will change their behaviours and usage patterns, so blackouts become less likely. 

I know I am an eternal optimist at heart, and although I am doing what I can to personally mitigate against the risks, I don't believe we will actually see planned blackouts. (And the tree hugger in me is really pleased that strong positive action is actually happening to become less reliant on fossil fuels.)
    4.3kW PV, 3.6kW inverter. Octopus Tracker. Zoe. Ripple x 2. Cheshire
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if the difficulty in predicting demand load is partly fed by domestic Micro generations, ASHP etc? 
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder if the difficulty in predicting demand load is partly fed by domestic Micro generations, ASHP etc? 

That seems unlikely. There isn't enough of it.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • 70sbudgie
    70sbudgie Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As demonstrated by the first 2020 lockdown, industry accounts for about 20% of electricity consumption. 

I don't think the difficulty is in predicting the demand load, I think the difficulty is that renewable energy is intermittent. Currently, the only thing that can be done if the wind doesn't blow, is to burn fossil fuels.
    4.3kW PV, 3.6kW inverter. Octopus Tracker. Zoe. Ripple x 2. Cheshire
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport