Government power blackouts and solar PV

Options

Comments

• Chris_Type_R
    Options
    gefnew said:
    You could invest in a ups system to mitigate power outages, top it up with solar when you do not need it.
    UPS Systems - UPS Battery Backup | Critical Power Supplies
    I already have a 3 APC UPSs - but the ones I have are really geared towards surviving power dips and allowing for elegant shut downs. You have to spend a lot of money for something which is capable of running systems (and potentially lighting) for a few hours. 
    Central Beds, 2.02kWp (9 x 225W) south facing with some morning shade, installed 2011 (£7.16/Wp). Tigo monitoring/optimisers on all panels, Growatt MIC 2000 TL-X Inverter and Solar iBoost installed 2022. (4 x 415W + 6 x 405W garden experiment connected to SunSynk 3.6 hybrid inverter & 2 x 5.3kWh SynSynk batteries) (4 x 405W panels queued to go somewhere)
  • Chris_Type_R
    Chris_Type_R Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2022 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Something like the Ecoflow Portable Power Station might make sense too (with an extra battery) - but that's then £3500 for 4kWh vs £500 ish for a 3.3kW capable 'quiet' petrol generator.

ETA, the UPSs would be plugged into the generator to 'smooth' out the generated power.

ETA, we have a dual fuel wood burner and gas BBQ, so we're okay from a contingency point of view for heating and cooking. 
    Central Beds, 2.02kWp (9 x 225W) south facing with some morning shade, installed 2011 (£7.16/Wp). Tigo monitoring/optimisers on all panels, Growatt MIC 2000 TL-X Inverter and Solar iBoost installed 2022. (4 x 415W + 6 x 405W garden experiment connected to SunSynk 3.6 hybrid inverter & 2 x 5.3kWh SynSynk batteries) (4 x 405W panels queued to go somewhere)
  • ccbrowning
    Options
    A Powerwall or capable battery system will mitigate this scenario. 
    A battery on its own will do absolutely nothing to mitigate this scenario (if you want to stay on the right side of the law/regs.).  You also need a means of isolating whatever is being powered by the battery from the mains; the same would apply to a generator supplying the backup power.  
    True, but there are installers who will setup a fully-isolated system which provides power during a blackout. Most seem to just have the option of a socket you can use during a blackout though.
  • Chris_Type_R
    Chris_Type_R Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2022 at 1:06PM
    Options
    A Powerwall or capable battery system will mitigate this scenario. 
    A battery on its own will do absolutely nothing to mitigate this scenario (if you want to stay on the right side of the law/regs.).  You also need a means of isolating whatever is being powered by the battery from the mains; the same would apply to a generator supplying the backup power.  
    True, but there are installers who will setup a fully-isolated system which provides power during a blackout. Most seem to just have the option of a socket you can use during a blackout though.
    Victron Multi-II GX coupled with e.g. Pylon batteries seems to be a good way to go - especially if you have a FIT array and want to add a new separate array.

This handles the automatic switching and allows you to segment the load into emergency & normal circuits.
  • 70sbudgie
    70sbudgie Posts: 749 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The blackouts are most like to happen during the super red period - ie 4pm - 7pm which is when peak demand occurs. 

My personal opinion is that if enough people change their habits that peak can be smoothed out. I can't help but wonder if this is what the government / media are trying to scare people into doing.

I saw this article today that suggested it may be possible to earn up to £6/kWhr for reducing demand.
    https://www.gbnews.uk/news/british-families-set-to-be-paid-to-turn-off-washing-machines-at-peak-hours/355584
    I'm not entirely convinced by the source!

Given that the demand dropped by 20% during the first 2020 lockdown, I can't help wonder if a potential solution is for businesses to close early. Though in winter, the risk of that is that it just shifts the peak, rather than smooths it.
    4.3kW PV, 3.6kW inverter. Octopus Tracker. Zoe. Ripple x 2. Cheshire
  • 70sbudgie
    Options
    I would suggest that anyone who has batteries investigates their ability to force export. 😉 
  • DougMLancs
    DougMLancs Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I’ve seen that on BBC News too. The proof will be in what they actually announce in a couple of weeks I suppose
    4.44kW SW Facing in-roof array with 3.6kW Givenergy Gen 2 Hybrid inverter and 9.5kWh Givenergy battery. 9kW Panasonic Aquarea L (R290) ASHP. #gasfree since July ‘23
  • 70sbudgie
    Options
    I have also seen an article that said the Octopus demand side management trial had been very successful. So I suspect that is what the article is referring to and that it will be rolled out before the winter.

I earned about 10p on the trial! I wasn't supposed to be able to take part, because I have a SEG, so I made sure I only joined in for the times when there was no chance of me generating (like at 1am)
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doesn't this all suggest that the forecast problem is a lack of capacity, rather than a lack of gas? Ie something separate from the current energy crisis and something that should have been foreseen well before it?

If the problem was a gas shortage, power cuts wouldn't be limited to times of highest demand.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • ispookie666
    ispookie666 Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    To comply with G98/99/100 PV will shut down during power outage (Anti-islanding protection).  You can check which manufacturers have already done testing and are compliant on Type test register   
    “Don't raise your voice, improve your argument." - Desmond Tutu

System 1 - 14 x 250W SunModule SW + Enphase ME215 microinverters (July 2015)
    System 2 - 20 x 330W Jinko Panels + Enphase IQ7+ microinverters (Jan 2022) + Givenergy AC Coupled inverter + 2 * 8.2KWh Battery (May 2022) + Mitsubishi 7.1 KW and 2* Daikin 2.5 KW A2A Heat Pump
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback