travel insurance - separate or joint?

Options
going away on holiday in the coming months. My partner booked the package so everything is in their name in terms of paperwork,  documentation etc. For insurance purposes can I take my own insurance or would it need to be joint as like I said all the paperwork is in their name. 
Partner already bought their own travel insurance so it's going to be a faff if we need joint as not sure how we would go about amending it. 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It may have been cheaper to buy joint, and claiming is easier as one form covers the pair of you but that boat has sailed. 

No issues buying separate insurance, travel insurance covers you as a traveller not the whole of what a person may have paid for.
  • little_green
    Options
    It may have been cheaper to buy joint, and claiming is easier as one form covers the pair of you but that boat has sailed. 

No issues buying separate insurance, travel insurance covers you as a traveller not the whole of what a person may have paid for.

ok but say I needed to make a claim, would they ask for paperwork relating to the holiday & would that then raise issues since its all in my partners name? 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

ok but say I needed to make a claim, would they ask for paperwork relating to the holiday & would that then raise issues since its all in my partners name? 
    Ultimately read the policy book before buying it.

Someone posted a link to a Daily Mail artical yesterday claiming it caused a problem for the customer in the article when insured with Direct Line (article was from June this year). I've not come across a policy which states it would be a problem and oddly the product the person stated they had (travel added onto home insurance) was stopped in 2017 so why is the Mail writing about it now?

Irrespective of who paid for it, if you are due to go on holiday and cannot go due to illness you have suffered a loss. The easiest way to evaluate that loss is how much the holiday cost, not how much the holiday cost you personally.

There was an interesting judgement the other day which I will look to see if I can find again about repair costs, there was a dispute because a middleman was used who added 10% to the repair bill. The Appeals Court judge made it clear that in these types of claims what you are actually claiming for is the damage done to the vehicle, a repair invoice is simply an easy and suitable proxy to evaluate the loss. The same goes for this, your loss is actually the holiday, the cost of the holiday is just the easy proxy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback