Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charity Card Fees

Options
PoGee
PoGee Posts: 562 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I'm about to donate money via an online auction type of thing and they're asking if I'd like to pay the card fee so they don't have to. The fee would be around £25. Would you pay? Is it a bit cheeky of them to ask?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,127 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Must be an expensive item if the fee is that high.  I'd do it if it was small and therefore wouldn't make any difference to me.

If the items is so very expensive is £25 significant to you?  

Yes it's a bit cheeky but it's for charity.  And if you don't ask you don't get.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 August 2022 at 6:44PM
    Options
    It's for my old uni. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On one level, it's a bit cheeky, but it overcomes the issue of "these greedy sites which take money for processing donations to charities". 

Transferring money securely costs money. You want it done right, the charities want it done right, we ALL want it done right. So, we should all be prepared to accept that the organisation transferring the money securely will incur some costs, and somehow these costs have to be covered. 

There are two ways for that to happen: the donor covers the costs in some way, or the recipient covers the cost in some way. 

You pays your money (and I trust your alma mater is very grateful, because that does sound like a sizeable donation!) and you takes your choice - you're either more generous than you intended to be, or they pay a processing fee. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure