Have you noticed supermarket value brands being axed recently?

2»

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,792 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    biscan25 said:
    This is much more of a problem in smaller supermarkets, my Local Tesco/Sainsburys have even stopped stocking the 'middle' range on some lines, just selling the Finest/Extra special equivalents. I'm in SE London and have to drive to the bigger stores to buy the cheaper products. That or go to Lidl (which is my preferred but the OH is less fond).

Well it makes sense that in smaller stores where space is more limited, rather than offer e.g ten different types of pasta, all in multiple versions at many different price points, they'll offer a more limited range (e.g in my experience, usually penne, conchilglie and spaghetti) and and just two or three brands of each at different price points.  I suspect that given the option of either a) many different products with one or two variations of each and b) fewer products all in mutiple versions at many different price points, the majority of shppers would opt for the former (and as k3lvc says, I'm sure the supermarket will have done their own research to establish that when deciding what to stock and not to stock).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,204 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Nelski said:
    Asda have launched a new yellow basics range. Tried some in my delivery today. Haven't tried yet but prices are great so hopefully tastes ok too

They're OK, providing you bear in mind the price, after all a 66p pizza is not going to be huge and loaded with cheese, is it? But it does make a good starting point for a meal
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • jon81uk said:
    Asda have introduced more basics products than before.
    ASDA was named as one of the companies removing products according to The Grocer investigation. Ocado hasn't removed anything and Sainsbury's was the only supermarket chain to reverse the trend as things stand.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 August 2022 at 8:21PM
    It is not just basic ranges that have been reduced.  Many other products, both own brand and names have been reduced.  Almost impossible to get a single pot of Muller fruit yoghurt now, MrsM likes a particular flavour yoghurt and it is now only available as a six pack with 2 other varieties.  All the fruit ones seem to have been replaced with the tons of sugar varieties.  Tesco 250g microwave rice is now only available in 4 basic "rice only" varieties, all the others - veg, egg fried etc - have gone leaving only the twice the price branded versions.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback