🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

FYI....had this today

Options
I had this come today, just in case anyone missed it

Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...

Comments

• nekr0mantik
    Options
    That's the existing 400 credit announced month's ago but due to raise in October being more then they thought few months ago it's nowhere near enough for people who will struggle so government better do more.
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    That's the existing 400 credit announced month's ago but due to raise in October being more then they thought few months ago it's nowhere near enough for people who will struggle so government better do more.
    For those with the greatest need the payments are already £1,200-2,340, the £400 for the rest of us was just a political bung to make the former more palletable.

If Sunak gets in those on pensions and benefits will likely get some extra, probably another £400-800, there might be a small sweetener for the rest, but I doubt it. If Truss gets in then it is highly doubtful there will be anything additional, with the reality being that the most vulnerable will be largely protected and the rest of us will have to accept a potentially grim, but ultimately survivable situation.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,678 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

If Sunak gets in those on pensions and benefits will likely get some extra, probably another £400-800, there might be a small sweetener for the rest, but I doubt it. 
    Those on pensions will also get at least 10% uplift in their pensions thanks to the triple lock so quite a decent amount towards the increased costs which many people in work won't be getting.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jimjames said:

If Sunak gets in those on pensions and benefits will likely get some extra, probably another £400-800, there might be a small sweetener for the rest, but I doubt it. 
    Those on pensions will also get at least 10% uplift in their pensions thanks to the triple lock so quite a decent amount towards the increased costs which many people in work won't be getting.
    Unless the next Chancellor changes the rules again for "exceptional" circumstances - the Tories have form !!
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 August 2022 at 10:38AM
    Options
    jimjames said:

Unless the next Chancellor changes the rules again for "exceptional" circumstances - the Tories have form !!

I'm expecting Some Action to blip the CPI down just for September, which is used to calculate pension increases....
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Max68
    Max68 Posts: 206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

If Sunak gets in those on pensions and benefits will likely get some extra, probably another £400-800, there might be a small sweetener for the rest, but I doubt it. If Truss gets in then it is highly doubtful there will be anything additional, with the reality being that the most vulnerable will be largely protected and the rest of us will have to accept a potentially grim, but ultimately survivable situation.
    I've said before the group that will be most vulnerable are those who work but are low earners just above the benefit cap are the ones that will suffer with no extra help.  Water boards consider anyone with a yearly income of £16,000 and below on a low income.
  • Mobtr
    Mobtr Posts: 669 Forumite
    Options
    Max68 said:

I've said before the group that will be most vulnerable are those who work but are low earners just above the benefit cap are the ones that will suffer with no extra help.  Water boards consider anyone with a yearly income of £16,000 and below on a low income.
    Totally agree, some pensioners don’t need it, for example my parents, on pension credit due to not getting full pension because my father ran a business for a while, live in sheltered accommodation, get rent & council tax paid, only pay electric as heating & hot water in with the rent are getting money thrown at them. Whereas my son & his partner who both work  but on just over minimum wage, have a child but only getting the £400 but have gas, electric, mortgage, council tax etc etc to pay. 
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    Mobtr said:

Totally agree, some pensioners don’t need it, for example my parents, on pension credit due to not getting full pension because my father ran a business for a while, live in sheltered accommodation, get rent & council tax paid, only pay electric as heating & hot water in with the rent are getting money thrown at them. Whereas my son & his partner who both work  but on just over minimum wage, have a child but only getting the £400 but have gas, electric, mortgage, council tax etc etc to pay. 
    Wheres your folks live, any vacancies? lol

Im on SP, wifes 61 (so no pension credit) but been 50% unfit a while but still works while she can, im emptying bins/cleaning toilets 20hrs a week, im 68 in February
  • maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 August 2022 at 4:44PM
    Options

Eligibility for the Financial Hardship Fund

To get help from the fund, you must:

• have valid Severn Trent account number
    • be in debt on your account, with no way to pay it back
    • have experienced exceptional circumstances that stop you paying your bill

Applying for the Financial Hardship Fund

You can apply for Financial Hardship Fund (Severn Trent Trust Fund) online, or call 0121 355 7766 and they'll post a paper form to you.

When you apply, you'll need to provide evidence of your household income.

You'll also need to explain the circumstances that are preventing you from being able to pay.

Documents you can use as evidence include:

• payslips
    • benefits award letters
    • bank statements

The Severn Trent Trust Fund are unable to return the documents, so please only include copies.

• pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    Options

Eligibility for the Financial Hardship Fund

To get help from the fund, you must:

• have valid Severn Trent account number
    • be in debt on your account, with no way to pay it back
    • have experienced exceptional circumstances that stop you paying your bill

Applying for the Financial Hardship Fund

You can apply for Financial Hardship Fund (Severn Trent Trust Fund) online, or call 0121 355 7766 and they'll post a paper form to you.

When you apply, you'll need to provide evidence of your household income.

You'll also need to explain the circumstances that are preventing you from being able to pay.

Documents you can use as evidence include:

• payslips
    • benefits award letters
    • bank statements

The Severn Trent Trust Fund are unable to return the documents, so please only include copies.

I somehow doubt that a water company will help you with energy debts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure