🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Unsecured loan

Options
Good Morning MSE colleagues,
Happy Monday!

I appreciate this might've been covered but I was not able to find such thread. 
I'm struggling to find out how much I can borrow via unsecured loan. My situation is as follows:

1) I currently live in UK.
2) I make approx 90-100k per year.
3) No mortrages, no CC etc, I basically always pay cash.

I'm considering buying property in Europe, I would not be able to take mortrage outside UK unfortunately (and UK banks won't offer mortgage for property abroad). That said, I do have some savings so I was planning to take ideally few personal loans and just pay them off.
I can see that my bank (HSBC) can give me up to 50k personal loan (with 6,7% APR over 30k, otherwise 3.9% APR).

Would I be able to let's say, do 3x30k with HSBC over span of eight years (that's maximum length)? I can easily afford it but not sure I would be allowed to take multiple loans. 
Even taking 3, monthly cost would be 3x£360=£1080. I could easily cover twice as that.

If similar thread was discussed, I would appreciate URL :)
Thank you.

Kind regards,
Adam

Comments

  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You may be able to do this but it typically will be against the terms of the loan. It is normally against loan terms to take more than 1 loan for a purpose, and again for buying property, so this may fail on this basis.

    Also, having no debt you may find it difficult to secure this financing at a competitive rate. This is because there is no evidence of how you manage your money.

    You will not be able to take 3 personal loans with HSBC (or any single bank) in a short time of each other.
    💙💛 💔
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I doubt they will lend for property purchases - even more so overseas.

    Disregarding that, the amount you can borrow will depend on affordability and risk - but 90k looks very unlikely.
  • adamik25
    Options
    Thanks for respones albeit I'm not sure I follow. For these loans that I can request in app, this seems to be automated and I don't really have to give reason? I can select a vague one like "car", "home improvment" or simply "other". It seemed that loan would be automatically approved/denied.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    adamik25 said:
    Thanks for respones albeit I'm not sure I follow. For these loans that I can request in app, this seems to be automated and I don't really have to give reason? I can select a vague one like "car", "home improvment" or simply "other". It seemed that loan would be automatically approved/denied.
    And lying would be fraud.

    You generally can borrow for home improvements, but not for the actual purchase of a property. Assuming the property is in the Schengen area, remember that assuming a British passport you will be limited to 90 in 180 days in the area, including any other business or tourism travel.
    💙💛 💔
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,513 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2022 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Is there a bank where you want to buy the property?  I'm thinking Santander if you wanted to buy in Spain and applying via them in Spain?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 15 August 2022 at 3:43PM
    Options
    Brie said:
    Is there a bank where you want to buy the property?  I'm thinking Santander if you wanted to buy in Spain and applying via them in Spain?
    A non-EU citizen/resident is very unlikely to be able to get even a bank account, let alone a large loan without residency permit covering the period of it. You'd be surprised at the amount of paperwork needed just to open a business bank account post-Brexit where one director is resident outside the EU (this was never a problem before).

    I agree though potentially this is worth a try.

    Edit: That director is an EU passport holder just for clarity, most people will be in a position worse than that.
    💙💛 💔
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    adamik25 said:
    Good Morning MSE colleagues,
    Happy Monday!

    I appreciate this might've been covered but I was not able to find such thread. 
    I'm struggling to find out how much I can borrow via unsecured loan. My situation is as follows:

    1) I currently live in UK.
    2) I make approx 90-100k per year.
    3) No mortrages, no CC etc, I basically always pay cash.

    I'm considering buying property in Europe, I would not be able to take mortrage outside UK unfortunately (and UK banks won't offer mortgage for property abroad). That said, I do have some savings so I was planning to take ideally few personal loans and just pay them off.
    I can see that my bank (HSBC) can give me up to 50k personal loan (with 6,7% APR over 30k, otherwise 3.9% APR).

    Would I be able to let's say, do 3x30k with HSBC over span of eight years (that's maximum length)? I can easily afford it but not sure I would be allowed to take multiple loans. 
    Even taking 3, monthly cost would be 3x£360=£1080. I could easily cover twice as that.

    If similar thread was discussed, I would appreciate URL :)
    Thank you.

    Kind regards,
    Adam
    For starters, having a thin credit file with no history of borrowing then repayment, getting any kind of loan at a reasonable rate might be tricky. Getting £90k worth of loan is highly unlikely (especially considering your income).

    Trying to get three loans for £30k from the same lender would be challenging, but even if possible, I suspect the APR on the second and third loans would be considerably higher (increased risk as level of debt increases).
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • adamik25
    Options
    Thanks for responses all. I was thinking about relocating to Poland, I have EU passport.
    That being said, getting mortrage in PL is nearly impossible for someone earning in £. There's a law forcing to take mortrage in currency your income is, and post brexit, none of the banks offer such mortrages in Poland.

    I do believe that an income of c.£90k should give me some flexiblity? I'm just not sure how the process of a loan actually works here. 
    I don't mind taking few loans at seperate banks? I guess my point is that it should be fairly feasible to take a cash loan equating to roughly your yearly income?
    Just looking for best way to do this?
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    adamik25 said:
    I don't mind taking few loans at seperate banks? I guess my point is that it should be fairly feasible to take a cash loan equating to roughly your yearly income?

    Often quoted on here is that lenders may loan up to 50% of your yearly income, I suspect borrowing 100% of your income in loans is unlikely (or if possible, at eye watering APRs)
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards