IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Selling a car using Paypal

in Motoring
10 replies 252 views
TotalNoobTotalNoob Forumite
25 Posts
Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
Forumite
Hi,
I'm selling a car and the buyer is in Northern Ireland (I'm in England) and he wants to use Paypal for payment, and send a shipping company to collect.
Obviously I'm wary that cleared funds with Paypal may not necessarily be that.
Should I still insist that funds are in my bank before releasing the car, or is there some protection from Paypal?
As Far as I am aware all the protection is on the buyer's side, so just being careful.
Thanks

Replies

• sharp910shsharp910sh Forumite
    522 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I would not be selling a car using Paypal. Ask for bank transfer only unless you want to be scammed. 
  • The_UnreadyThe_Unready Forumite
    391 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You are right to be wary of PayPal for this transaction. Too many opportunities for you to get ripped off.

Bank transfer is the way to go here.
  • Sebi_895Sebi_895 Forumite
    122 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think you need to be careful on this one. The buyer may be genuine but I've heard about this kind of potential scam. The fact that they want to use a shipping company to collect made me jump to type. A friend of a friend got done like this; only difference was he was buying. The note from PayPal looked very genuine as well stating payment had been made. And as far as protection from Paypal, well he didn't get any.
    Is the buyer working on an oil rig offshore somewehere remote?? Similar storyline to the scam I referred to above.
  • edited 14 August 2022 at 9:15PM
    user1977user1977 Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 14 August 2022 at 9:15PM
    Sounds scammy to me. Does it even make sense for somebody to be buying your car without personally seeing / picking it up? Is it something particularly rare?
  • TotalNoobTotalNoob Forumite
    25 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks all.
    Will make sure it's a bank transfer, or no sale.
  • ontheroad1970ontheroad1970 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Look up escrow on this forum.  There have been lots of scamming attempts using so called third party shipping agents.  
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    This is a pretty common scam.

They pay (or fake up a payment email), collect the car and then either retract the payment or it never existed in the first place.

Sell the car to whoever will collect it. Whether that's the buyer or an agent is irrelevant. 

Buying a car is a big investment, so a normal person is going to want to see it first especially for a private sale. 
  • motorguymotorguy Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    Forumite
    TotalNoob said:
    Hi,
    I'm selling a car and the buyer is in Northern Ireland (I'm in England) and he wants to use Paypal for payment, and send a shipping company to collect.
    Obviously I'm wary that cleared funds with Paypal may not necessarily be that.
    Should I still insist that funds are in my bank before releasing the car, or is there some protection from Paypal?
    As Far as I am aware all the protection is on the buyer's side, so just being careful.
    Thanks
    NO!

This is a SCAM

You will get an email from what looks like paypal saying they have received the payment and are holding the money for you and that only you can release it and it cant be reclaimed.  This will come from a hidden spurious email address.

• edited 15 August 2022 at 10:50AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    52.4K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 15 August 2022 at 10:50AM
    What is so unique about your car that he wants to purchase it from GB when he is in N.Ireland? If he did,why wouldn't he just travel over and drive it back. It's got scam written all over it.
    I'lll bet he didn't want to view or road test it either.
    Bank transfer before collection, or forget it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • maxmycardagainmaxmycardagain Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No
    Niet
    No way
    BACS only please
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...