Energy Price Cap announcement: Watch Martin Lewis explain what it means for your electricity and gas bills this winter

Bank request full password for SCA

in Credit cards
12 replies 691 views
2»

Replies

• MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing for you at that time.

This is advice given by Age UK (I know not everyone is 'of an age' but the advice is the same for everyone, I would think) -

"Never share your full password or PIN number. Banks will never ask for your full PIN or password – instead, they will ask for specific numbers or letters, for example, the first and third character from your password."

I have two credit cards where I was asked to provide passwords during the online application process and if I ever phone them they will ask for a couple of letters from the password, never the whole password. I also have a PCP and if I phone them they too will ask for a couple of letters from my password. It does seem to be pretty standard nowadays.

For my banking app I had to choose a 6 number pin and whenever I login to my current account I'm asked for three of them. 

But if you are worried, and it's really understandable, given that there are so many clever fraudsters around, you could perhaps actually visit your nearest branch to discuss with someone face to face? I'm also someone who doesn't want to set up SCA measures over the phone. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroeMalMonroe Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Catsacor said:
    Can't you then change that password after the process is set up ?
    Not an option since the bank will ask for two or three letters from the originally set-up password during any subsequent telephone conversations.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.