Default by Three on phone account I thought had transferred to my ex

Options
A default has appeared on my credit file for a phone contract taken out 12 years ago which I thought had been transferred to my ex about 10 years ago.
The contract was in my name originally and then we split and I transferred the contract to his name (so I thought). There was a phone call between me, my ex, and someone from Three and I authorised the account to be transferred to my ex’s name as he had the phone. I was told I was no longer needed on the call as they could do the rest without me so I dialled off that was the last I heard. 

I’ve just checked my credit file and a default has appeared and he stopped paying 2 years ago and the account was still in my name registered to my old address (he must have dialled off after me without completing the transfer).

Any advice please as to how and if I can get this default removed?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can't, as if what you told us is correct, the contract remained in your name and so you remained liable. All you can do is settle the amount owing and then it will show as satisfied on your credit history, and come off after 6 years.
    You may well feel that Three hold some responsibility here, but after ten years it's going to be impossible to prove what happened after you left the call
    How long ago was the default?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • clb1979
    clb1979 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2 years ago 😩
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suggest you speak to Three, which you'll presumably need to do anyway, if the contract is still ongoing.
    Also check your credit record to see if it has proceeded to a CCJ, which would have more negative implications than a default.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    clb1979 said:
    A default has appeared on my credit file for a phone contract taken out 12 years ago which I thought had been transferred to my ex about 10 years ago.
    You cannot transfer a phone contract into someone else's name.  You can only close your account and your ex would have needed to apply for / setup their own account.  

clb1979 said:
    I’ve just checked my credit file and a default has appeared and he stopped paying 2 years ago and the account was still in my name registered to my old address (he must have dialled off after me without completing the transfer).

As the account and therefore the liability was still yours, you cannot as the default is correctly reported.   
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,373 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MEM62 said:
    clb1979 said:
    You cannot transfer a phone contract into someone else's name.  You can only close your account and your ex would have needed to apply for / setup their own account.  

clb1979 said:

As the account and therefore the liability was still yours, you cannot as the default is correctly reported.   

That's partially true. You can carry out a transfer of ownership which will transfer a current contract into a new customers name. The new customer will of course need to open their own account and pass credit checks etc. but the transfer of ownership, once approved by the network, moves liability for the existing contract onto the new customer.

It would appear something didn't complete in the OP's case and they didn't keep an eye on it at the time.
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 August 2022 at 7:16AM
    Options
    You definitely can (or could back then) transfer ownership with 3 because I have done that.  I can't remember the exact scenario but I'm sure I was leaving them so on the termination call they did the whole speel to make you stay and I'm sure an offer there was to transfer it to a friend at the discounted rate they were trying to offer me.
    He still has that number and was paying about £5 a month for it for years (was really cheap at the time (probably about 10 years ago))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback