We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Social tariffs

Options
hunny_x
hunny_x Posts: 2 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 11 August 2022 at 4:54PM in Phones & TV
Hi I read just yesterday that Mobile and broadband companies are offering a social tariff for those struggling and the Costs are £15-20 pmth for broadband. To be eligible you need to be on Universal credit or pension credit with Sky. I'm with sky but on the old legacy benefit of employment and support allowance do wouldn't get the deal. Does anyone know who or how to get ESA and any other legacy benefits added to the eligibile list. Rather annoying. 

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Could you move to BT? Their criteria include (some) ESA recipients:

• Employment and Support Allowance
      You need to be receiving income-related Employment and Support Allowance to qualify for Home Essentials. People on contribution-based only ESA are not eligible. If you receive both income and contribution-based ESA, your income-based JSA must be higher.
  • Futuristic
    Futuristic Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you goto jobseekers they have some they can refer you to, I believe some are only available via that eg. Talktalk

There are others like above BT, also virgin: https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/low-income-families

BT offer fibre and calls so if you can get 30MBs+ at home it might be a good price
  • flimdar
    flimdar Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT called me to re-up my broadband and whilst on the phone I inquired about the pension credit tariff for my 84-year-old mother... Was told to call with her NI number and as she's on pension credit she'll qualify for this tariff. However every time we've called BT back we've been told it only applies to UNIVERSAL credit, not pension credit.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Not what BT's website says. Try the online application here

https://www.bt.com/broadband/home-essentials

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business