SoEnergy changing regular DD to variable DD

Options
Jo_S_3
Jo_S_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Anybody else been changed from a regular fixed DD payment to a “variable DD” payment as a customer of SoEnergy? I never requested this change and I wonder if others have been affected and not aware. It may make budgeting even more difficult especially as we head into winter months and the increase in the price cap. I don’t have a smart meter so the variable DD payment has the potential to be incorrect if I don’t religiously submit my meter readings. 
Posting so that others check their DDs. 

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is more sensible, ultimately people need to learn how to budget, as the main argument against variable DD is that its not good for people who simply have no idea how to budget.  It also helps solve the elephant in the room in how to keep credit balances safe.

I have seen proposals now where financial management needs to be educated in schools, something I would support.
  • Jo_S_3
    Jo_S_3 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am happy to budget but am frustrated that they changed me without even telling me. If I wasn’t so aware of what goes in and out every month I wouldn’t have spotted it. Others may be less fortunate. Also I cannot build up a balance in summer months to pay for higher usage in winter. 
  • Northern_Wanderer
    Options
    Perhaps they have somehow made a mistake? You could ask to go back on budget account?
  • pochase
    pochase Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @Jo_S_3
    Also I cannot build up a balance in summer months to pay for higher usage in winter. 

I don't quite understand this. If you pay what you owe and put the difference to the fixed direct debit amount aside, you have the same money budgeted.

Only if you already know that the fixed direct debit you are paring is to low it will not work, but in this case you will have a debt at the end of winter.

Or do you mean that the credit you had accumulated was used to pay some of the bill(s)?

Same situation, as you did not have to pay, put the money you would have paid aside.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback