We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PPI compensation debt scam

Options
2»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would wait

First speak to Northern Rock and get them to confirm if a PPI complaint payout was made. The CMC cannot make you pay for their cut of a refund that doesn't exist nor can you be expected to prove a negative based on what you currently know. When NR come back and confirm if they paid anything or not, then you would be able to deal with the CMC

Is it possible they did the legwork, got a refund offer and you chose not to accept the refund??
  • finklestein
    Options
    Thank you. I have written to Northern Rock but my letter was returned by Royal Mail. I have written to Virgin Money, who I believe bought Northern Rock, but have had no reply. The solicitor threatening legal action has sent me a copy of a letter addressed to me offering compensation. I did not receive any such letter and did not accept any compensation sum. 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,130 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 August 2022 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Thank you. I have written to Northern Rock but my letter was returned by Royal Mail. I have written to Virgin Money, who I believe bought Northern Rock, but have had no reply. The solicitor threatening legal action has sent me a copy of a letter addressed to me offering compensation. I did not receive any such letter and did not accept any compensation sum. 
    Then stick to your guns, in order to take legal action, these people must send you a letter in the post stating this, its commonly referred too as an LBA, or "letter before action", you don`t need to respond to phone calls or emails.

As you have had no compensation, you have done nothing wrong, the onus is on them to prove you owe them money, not the other way around, if they should take you to court, then stick up for yourself, and defend the claim, that`s what the court process is for, to obtain the truth, if it is bogus, they will give up at this point.

Don`t be scared off by their threats, they have just as much to lose by going to court as you have.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Given that you have effectively been duped twice (by having PPI and by using a CMC), it might be better to follow up with NR and see if they can pay you it given they will know you did not take a cheque. That said, what you have now said makes sense - the CMC are effectively billing you as a time waster (albeit you aren't as you didn't get the letter). Does the copy letter show an old address or something?
  • finklestein
    Options
    The copy letter shows my correct address but I did not receive it. I have found what I hope is a current address for Northern Rock and have written to them requesting a letter to confirm that I neither accepted nor received a payout 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So basically NR sent you a letter (to your correct address) offering compensation but you did not get that letter so you couldn't accept it?

NR should be able to provide a letter confirming you weren't paid anything - though I'd still be chasing them to refund you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure