in Greenfingered MoneySaving
6 replies 198 views
Hi, I am looking for some advice from anyone who knows roses. I am looking to grow one or two roses up against two normal size fence panels. I really like roses, but have been put off growing them due to them having thorns. I have been told that you can now get thornless, (or very few thorns). I don't need one that grows about 20ft tall, just about 2- 3 metres tall would be ideal. Just want to sit on our patio and enjoy the smell and the flowers next year. Thank you for any suggestions or help you can give me
Latest MSE News and Guides
Did you know there's an MSE app?
It's free & available on iOS & AndroidMSE App
Regifting: good idea or not?
Add your two cents to the discussionMSE Forum
Energy Price Guarantee calculator
How much you'll likely pay from AprilMSE Tools
Climbing Rose 'Zephirine Drouhin'
it was bred in 1868 so not exactly a modern invention!
- Also known as The Thornless Rose, Zephrine Drouhin is one of very few almost thornless Climbing roses available.
- It produces an incredibly powerful, strong fruity rose scent that fills the air!
- Its lovely cerise-pink blooms are produced in abundance over a long period, repeat flowering all summer, and as an overall display stand out wonderfully against the mid-green foliage.
- It is easy to grow great for beginners and makes an outstanding hedge.
- Supplied as a freshly potted, professional quality plant in a 3L pot, growing to a height of 2.5m (8ft) and a width of 2m (6½ft).
downside- seem to think it's prone to mildew
I also have Golden Showers- bought from Woolworths about 20 years ago. Does have thorns, but not many.
very long lasting if cut for blooms
Large, semi-double, golden-yellow blooms, paling to light yellow; the petals then dropping quickly and cleanly. Flowers very freely and continuously. Extremely reliable in most climates. Lammerts, 1956.
sorry they are such huge images!!
If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
-Stash busting: 337 in 2022 Stash busting: in 2023. 18 doggy duvets, 13 bags, 2 scrunchies, 2 mittens, 2 bootees, 3 glass cases = total 40 ...£3.98 spent
It's a bit sparse, won't cover a fence, but it is an old musk scented rose with small, highly fragarent flowers. Easy care and flowers all summer.
Maybe squeeze it in with another.
The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well