How do I protect my young grandsons' inheritance?

System
System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
This discussion was created from comments split from: Is inheritance tax affected by wills?.

Comments

• Hi. I have written a will and asked my younger Nieces to be in charge of what the will says upon my death.
    My house and savings according to my will will be bequeathed to my two grandsons. This then gives me a tax free allowance of £500k before IHT.
    The problem I have is one grandson is 16yrs and the other is 10yrs how do I protect their inheritance until, I assume, they reach 18yrs old ?

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you actually said "house and savings"? If so what happens if the house is sold to pay for care home fees? It is better to leave "your estate" rather than specify the house.

Are you widowed or divorced? If the former, your IHT limit may be higher. But from the point of IHT, it does not matter if you still own the house when you die; you still get the residential allowance.

With respect to underage beneficiaries, the money is held in trust. Unless someone else is appointed, your executors would be the trustees.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    5Goldfish said:
    Hi. I have written a will and asked my younger Nieces to be in charge of what the will says upon my death.
    My house and savings according to my will will be bequeathed to my two grandsons. This then gives me a tax free allowance of £500k before IHT.
    The problem I have is one grandson is 16yrs and the other is 10yrs how do I protect their inheritance until, I assume, they reach 18yrs old ?

Normally you would appoint trustees to look after inheritances for minors. Usually this would be the parents or guardians. Are you employing a solicitor to draw up your will?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    5Goldfish said:
    I have written a will and asked my younger Nieces to be in charge of what the will says upon my death.
    My house and savings according to my will will be bequeathed to my two grandsons.
    It can cost a non-professional executor time and money to sort out an estate - we have left a sum for the executors in recognition of this.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Mojisola said:
    5Goldfish said:
    I have written a will and asked my younger Nieces to be in charge of what the will says upon my death.
    My house and savings according to my will will be bequeathed to my two grandsons.
    It can cost a non-professional executor time and money to sort out an estate - we have left a sum for the executors in recognition of this.
    Agreed. It seems somewhat mean/unfair to expect a family member to do what can be a stressful and time consuming job and get no reward.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,661 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    5Goldfish said:
    Hi. I have written a will and asked my younger Nieces to be in charge of what the will says upon my death.

Ask your solicitor to put the appropriate provisions in your will, naming a trusted adult (?one of the grandchildren's parents?) to be the trustee until they come of age.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • 5Goldfish said:

Normally you would appoint trustees to look after inheritances for minors. Usually this would be the parents or guardians. Are you employing a solicitor to draw up your will?
    I have written my own will and appointed my nieces as trustees. 
  • Marcon said:
    5Goldfish said:

Ask your solicitor to put the appropriate provisions in your will, naming a trusted adult (?one of the grandchildren's parents?) to be the trustee until they come of age.
    Thank you.
  • RAS said:
    Have you actually said "house and savings"? If so what happens if the house is sold to pay for care home fees? It is better to leave "your estate" rather than specify the house.

Are you widowed or divorced? If the former, your IHT limit may be higher. But from the point of IHT, it does not matter if you still own the house when you die; you still get the residential allowance.

With respect to underage beneficiaries, the money is held in trust. Unless someone else is appointed, your executors would be the trustees.
    I have put estate in my will, and I am divorced. Thank you.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    5Goldfish said:
    5Goldfish said:

I have written my own will and appointed my nieces as trustees. 
    Then what is your concern?  It is the responsibility of the trustees to prortect the inheritance.

I suggest you get a solicitor to check your will in case there is anything there that perhaps may not give the result you wish.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback