NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Tokio Marine for home insurance?

Hi, I'm looking for home insurance and BIBA put me in touch with Adrian Flux (broker) who recommended Tokio Marine and said that all other quotes were hundreds of ££ higher than theirs.  I've never heard of Tokio Marine, does anyone have any experience of them for buildings and contents insurance?  There are a few posts on this forum with regard to travel insurance. There's also a TrustPilot entry for Tokio Marine HCC with 16 reviews, 88% 'bad' and frequent references to it being a scam (this may be a different company - I hope!).  I took out the policy to start on 12th August as they couldn't guarantee the price past the end of the phone call, but I can cancel before the 12th with no fee if I have any concerns.  I'd be grateful to hear anything about them. Thanks!

Replies

• user1977user1977 Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They're a massive and long-established insurance company, so certainly "safe" in that sense, but I have no idea what they're like for home insurance.
  • tasticztasticz Forumite
    697 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Adrian Flux would have done their due diligence. Have you checked the paperwork received from AF? Are they acting as broker for sale only or are they managing the claims also?

I assume all the stuff regarding company being regulated by Financial Conduct Authority is there at the bottom of the page of the document with the reference number? If yes, you'll be fine
  • stephanie_saysstephanie_says Forumite
    8 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the comments, yes it says the policy is authorised and regulated by the FCA.  It's underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC but all my dealings will be with Adrian Flux so I feel reassured about that as they seem very responsive.  I had a couple of queries having gone through the schedule, I phoned them today and they answered my questions right away.
    So I think all is well - it's just been proving tricky to find insurance for a house with oil-fired central heating for some reason, so I ended up with a company I hadn't heard of before but they seem good.