First Direct - Paying In? Pop To The Post Office!

1w2e3r4t
1w2e3r4t Posts: 3
First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 August 2022 at 1:33PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I joined First Direct over 20 years ago. when it was a GREAT bank. I even encouraged friends etc to join it.

Then about five years ago or so something changed. 

Although I have huge respect for Martin Lewis, he has got to stop referring to this bank as having great service, because it no longer has. 

I tried to pay in a lot of cash (remember that?) recently into a local HSBC bank. But I couldn't. Why? Because the NEW bank card FD had issued didn't work on their Paying In Machines - which have of course replaced actual people.

First Direct now have a leaflet with the title, wait for it..."Paying in? Pop to the Post Office" Yes, First Direct are advising their customers who are needing to pay in old fashioned cash and cheques, to Pop To The Post Office!

So, please Martin, stop referring to them as a great bank. They are much like the rest of the greedy inefficient bunch now.

Comments

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,660
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I guess this should be in the rants section, although what the rant is about this time I am not clear on.

FD have for a long while allowed customers to pay in cash and cheques at the Post Office. This is often more convenient than trying to get to an HSBC branch which could be miles away or have restricted operating hours.

I don't pay in cash or cheques very often but when I have needed to I have used the Post Office to do so. This has been a great service for me.

Generally, although i don't use my FD account as my main account now I have had no issues with them service wise. They have fallen behind on some of the feature and rates though.

As the results of the survey that MSE uses for rating banks is open and collects the public opinion, it would appear the majority of other customers don't agree with you either. It's not Martin's personal opinion as such it is the result of customers feedback.

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,750
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    First Direct has been a phone bank, ever since it started 30 years ago. I don't think judging a phone bank based on HSBC removing cashiers is very fair.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    What you moaning about,HBSC have closed the nearest bank to me, post office is 100 yards from my house and always used them.I can even photo my cheques at home into there system.

FD have UK customer services and answer in a few minutes and resolve any problems promptly. I suggest you go to Barclays to see what crap service is.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,207
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The main issue with FD is that the other products they offer, such as insurance, savings accounts etc are always uncompetitive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback