Car

Options
2»

Comments

• Vvn121
    Options

No it was optional, I did not have legal cover on my insurance. I spoke to them again and they said thats the reason why they will take a 25% cut. 

Thank you for your comment. The other party are with a liverpool victoria insurance company. The other companies insurance agent has been very prompt on calling me & my wife, also dropping us emails with some documents. I just feel like if there will be complication/disagreements later i will be in trouble. 
  • Vvn121
    Options
    @Aretnap
    yes, you are right. thank you for taking the time for your detailed post. 
    Hopefully have some luck and find something for a reasonable amount. 
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:

Don't forget too that the car that is being written off is still your car.  So you can take the £3.5k or whatever and then also sell for scrap the old car.  If the tires are that new they alone might get you £300+.
    Only if you buy back the salvage, or accept a lower payout to include keeping the salvage, otherwise the car belongs to the insurer once they pay its supposed market value.

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    facade said:
    Brie said:

Don't forget too that the car that is being written off is still your car.  So you can take the £3.5k or whatever and then also sell for scrap the old car.  If the tires are that new they alone might get you £300+.
    Only if you buy back the salvage, or accept a lower payout to include keeping the salvage, otherwise the car belongs to the insurer once they pay its supposed market value.

Didn't happen with me.  I was offered a payout of about £300 for a car I'd bought about 2 years earlier for £1300.  I said no as the car wasn't actually a write off just that they phrased it like that as they considered it uneconomical to repair.  I found a car, same make and model with worse mileage and a year older selling for £800 so I insisted that's what they needed to pay me.  Got my car back plus £800 and got some mechanic to bang it back together for about £200.  The car was fine, passed it's MOT several months later and then a few months after that I sold it back to the place I bought it from for £300.  So it worked out very well for me.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    facade said:
    Brie said:

Didn't happen with me.  I was offered a payout of about £300 for a car I'd bought about 2 years earlier for £1300.  I said no as the car wasn't actually a write off just that they phrased it like that as they considered it uneconomical to repair.  I found a car, same make and model with worse mileage and a year older selling for £800 so I insisted that's what they needed to pay me.  Got my car back plus £800 and got some mechanic to bang it back together for about £200.  The car was fine, passed it's MOT several months later and then a few months after that I sold it back to the place I bought it from for £300.  So it worked out very well for me.  
    That is exactly what "write-off" means. The cost of repairs exceeds the value of the car, so the insurer pays you the car's value (subject to negotiation) and the car is then their property. To suggest otherwise to the OP is misleading.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    caprikid1 said:
     If they a low quality insurance company like Direct Line
    Really?  So what is a high quality insurance company?
    From my experience and their trust pilot ratings I would say virtually any one !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback