We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Refund from Shyster Site

I needed an ETA for Canada. I’ve done them before and so entered “Canada ETA” into Google and inadvertently selected a Shyster Site (Evisa Express), rather than the Canadian Government site.

I filled in what looked like the familiar questions on the familiar looking form and entered my credit card details. It was only after I’d clicked submit, that I noticed I’d been charged 50 Euros.

Almost immediately, I realised what I’d done and called Halifax (my card issuer) to see if I could get the payment stopped.

They use an automated system, but following advice from the BBC Watchdog programme, I answered “abacus, petunia, toilet brush” to the first question and “beer pump mahogany gas pipe” to the second and I was soon through to a human, who was incredibly unhelpful, but offered to put me through to their fraud department – waiting time one hour!

I tried again and this time, got a very helpful chap who suggested the best thing to do was to dispute the payment with Mastercard, but to make sure that I had all the correspondence requesting Evisa Express to cancel the transaction and issue a refund.

I found the correct site and put in a proper application for my ETA.

I emailed Evisa Express, asking them to cancel the transaction and refund. I followed that up with an email explaining I was raising a dispute with Mastercard over their fraudulent Evisa Express website.

I got an email back saying they couldn’t cancel the transaction as my ETA had already been processed.

I pointed out that it had only cost them $4, but no response.

I downloaded their conditions of service, and it looks like they’re a Polish company. There was an appendix with the legal wording to cancel a contract with the company.

I created a PDF of their form, filled it in and emailed it off.

I received an email the next day, saying they would refund my 50 Euros minus the ETA fee they already paid on the Canadian Government site.

I consider £4ish a fair loss for my gross stupidity! I’m pleased to say they have now refunded the money to my card!

I’ve received an ETA directly from the Canadian Government site.

 

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.