Challenge to make an extra £10 a day August 2022 ~ everyone welcome

Hello everyone and welcome to the challenge.

The purpose of this challenge is to try and make an extra £10 a day on top of your normal income to help things along eg paying off debt, making savings, paying for holidays, overpaying mortgages or even extra spending money. Every little helps!

If you feel £10 is too much why not start at £5 (or less if you want)  or if you're brave join those who aim for £20 a day! Anything extra you make is great so set whatever target you think you can manage. It also doesn't have to be £10 each and every day - some days you make more and some days you make less, but aim for £310 (or whatever your target is) extra at the end of the month.

The idea is that everyone posts how they are making extra money and these shared ideas help all of us to learn new ways to help cut debt or earn/save money.

This is the 178th month of this challenge, which was first started by Batgirl, in September 2007. Here is a link to the original thread as I am sure some of you are interested to read where it all began.

Thanks to Batgirl for starting it and for everyone who has kept it going for more than 14 years.

Hope you join us and see how much you can make this month! 
Don't worry about calming the storm. Calm yourself, the storm will pass.

Debt £11746.18

Make £5 a day £0/£155

Comments

• makingmehappy
    makingmehappy Posts: 300
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2022 at 5:58AM
    Below are some ideas to get you started and a great place to read when you're in need of inspiration.

Cashback on things your buying - Topcashback and Quidco are the two main sites along with Swagbucks. Some bank accounts and credit cards also give cashback so check out yours.  

Sell your old books/DVDs/CDs/games here:
    Amazon.co.uk, play.com, webuybooks, zapper, CEX

eBay - a place to sell anything and everything.

Gumtree, Preloved, cquot, ebid, craigslist, vivastreet, netmums.com, trade-it , Friday ad, priceminster - these are all places you can sell items too.

Survey sites - mysurvey and pinecone, prolific academic tend to be the best but there are many more it really depends on you finding the ones that work best for you - toluna, harris poll, valued opinions etc

also join Topcashback and Quidco - type in surveys in the search engine and some will pay you to join up with them.

Make money from recycling - mobiles, ink cartridges,

etsy and folksy - If you enjoy making crafts why not have a go at selling them on etsy or folksy. They've been getting increasingly busier each year.

Collect  loyalty points for shopping - Tesco clubcard, Boots Advantage card, Morrisons More card, Superdrug Beautycard, Nectar card  (please let me know if there are any more loyalty cards to add)
    You can also go through Nectar to earn points for shopping at ebay.

Trying to find other ways to make money? Check out the Boost Your Income board. It is full of ideas, including survey companies and product testing.

Keep reading for lots more ideas on how to make more money each month.

Debt £11746.18

Make £5 a day £0/£155

• redlaces
    redlaces Posts: 135
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hey makingmehappy,

Thanks for starting this challenge! Is there space for me to join please? It's my first time so I'd like to go for £5 a day to start with - £155 total :smiley:

Cheers
    RL

Debt Free - October 2022
  • Hi @redlaces, of course there's space for you :smile: Welcome to the challenge and good luck with your target.

Debt £11746.18

Make £5 a day £0/£155

• CMD79
    CMD79 Posts: 751
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi! Can I join in too please? First time for me (officially!) I have been giving this a go, but not joined the challenge before.

I'm going to give the full £10 a go please!  B)
    November 2023

I'm always in it, it's only the depth that varies....

Current debt: £10,806.75
    Debt free date April 2025 (though expecting this to come forward)

• Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,927
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi

I missed a few months but can I rejoin please? I need some extra motivation!

I did list a few bits on Facebook last week but no interest yet. I have a few more to do and really a kick up the @rse!

I’m going for the £310 but in an ideal world it would be £20 but I’m not that resourceful. 

I have some money from Swagbucks and Prolific pending which is great but no where near enough
    Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
  • Hello @CMD79 and @Shineyhappy, welcome to the challenge.

Debt £11746.18

Make £5 a day £0/£155

• Rupacomp
    Rupacomp Posts: 227
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Going for £5 a day this month... think is more manageable for me whilst still a challenge. Good luck everyone with your plans!
    Savings goal by 31/12/24: £22000
    Dec 23: £6945.23
  • I havent been around for a while - just reading and running! May I join for $10 a day please? Am in Canada so can't do the 10 pound lol! 
    Will still be tough but I don't get wages this month, no benefits and still have bills to pay. 

EF - save $1000 in 2024 $70 saved

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.
    March February $300 January $196

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)
    Still have $35 Walmart and $25 Save on.

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
  • redlaces
    redlaces Posts: 135
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well I've started August well with a little £2.24 from TopCashback, not loads but better than nowt! That's gone straight off my big C/C, whose 0% expires soonest.
    I've also filed two small Medicash claims and got some pending cash on Prolific, so building up my August pipeline. OH also gave me a shirt yesterday that no longer fits, so I will use it to start a cash for clothes bag. Got an old football shirt that I need to resell too, they always hold their value :smile:

£2.24/£155, only £152.76 to go.. haha

Hope everyone has started August well!
    Debt Free - October 2022
  • Shineyhappy
    Shineyhappy Posts: 1,927
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you @makingmehappy

I managed to list one item on Facebook this morning. The others are more complicated items, but they need to be done!

I had the 4000 Swagbucks from Merge Dragons credit yesterday and a £5 reward this morning via email.

I have done a few surveys as well. 

Debt Free - done
    Mortgage Free - done
    Building up the pension pot
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills