Money Moral Dilemma: Should someone who earns a decent wage use food banks?

Options
MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 26 July 2022 at 4:04PM in Food shopping & groceries
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Someone I know is on above average wages, but doesn't manage her finances very well. She's now going to a food bank to top up her weekly shopping, instead of sorting her finances out or cutting back. Should I tell her she's being selfish by potentially denying people in greater need than her, or am I judging her too harshly? 

Unfortunately the MSE team can't answer Money Moral Dilemma questions as contributions are emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. Remember that behind each dilemma there is a real person so, as the forum rules say, please keep it kind and keep it clean.

B If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Our local food bank and community store requires proof of benefits to ‘try’ to help those more in need 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,011 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours requires a referral from an official agency or individual.  

I truly doubt that there are very many people who choose to use the food bank.  The majority are really in need for a wide variety of reasons.  But the food banks are also aware that some of it is down to bad budgeting etc so are beginning to take that into account with certain clients. 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know someone who gets a lot of free food but smokes quite a lot.
  • Longwalker
    Longwalker Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I saw a programme once, where they were interviewing a Food Bank manager _ for want of a better word - and he said so what if someone comes to get free food so they can afford to get their hair or nails done that week. When people are spending every waking ( and sleeping )moment worrying about money, who can judge them for that? As he said, it gives them a few minutes where they can feel "normal" stress levels fall, they arent giving off at the kids 
  • Lastonestanding
    Lastonestanding Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 28 July 2022 at 10:13AM
    Options
    [DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
    If you have an average income and a car, why would you use a foodbank with so little choice.
    I want the freshest bread and salad, countless other choices at a supermarket.
  • Scousemaid
    Scousemaid Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some areas have. “Zero Waste” programme that also helps to distribute food that would otherwise go to land fill. All types of people use this as it is to prevent waste. Ofcourse it is mainly available late in the day (10pm) so is not accessible to everyone. If there is a glut of items - fruit etc they often distribute it to schools, groups etc. 
  • madmarch
    Options
    Unaskedfor advice rarely goes down well. How do you know what this person earns and how they spend it? Are you sure? Some people helpout other relatives or have longstanding debts. Personally I think it is best to mind your own business.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback