Tv Bracket to choose

edited 19 July 2022 at 10:09AM in Techie Stuff
12 replies 71 views
prishaanprishaan Forumite
80 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
edited 19 July 2022 at 10:09AM in Techie Stuff

Hi, Greetings from Derby. I need your experienced advice. I have just moved to a new home, almost newly built. The previous owner( the first) lived here for 8 years. They did have their flat tv mounted on the wall.  I am wondering,  if  I can hang my 55" curved tv on the wall as well.   I have a swivel bracket that I used in my previous home but the electrician is not confident of using this as its a cavity wall in my new home. He worries that it may not be able to hold the tv on the wall.  He advised a fixed bracket instead. . I am though not sure if that goes well with a curve tv. Can you please suggest what's best I can do? Should I get a fixed bracket, or a swivel bracket is doable or better I get a stand? 
I am here sharing picture of the previous owner's tv mounted.




Highly appreciate your wise suggestions.

Many thnaks 

«1

Replies

  • Le_KirkLe_Kirk Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A cavity wall suggests it is double skinned and comprised of brick outer and breeze block inner, in which case using suitable fixings I would say you could hang anything on that wall.  If however you mean it is a stud wall with plasterboard so creating a cavity, you would have to find the studs.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    TBH I'd be very wary of fixing any sort or TV or bracket to a cavity. You really need to establish how the wall is constructed to ensure that any fixing actually go into the building structure and not just into the cavity, The problem with a swivel bracket is that it it can exert a far greater leverage on the fixings than one that's fixed and close to the wall.

    We had a home once where some of the walls were just two sheets of plasterboard with an egg-box construction between them and were useless for supporting anything heavier than a picture although proper cavity fixing did make it a bit better but they were only as strong as the walls.

    Even the external walls were hollow but if you could find the battens that the plasterboard was affixed to then you were in with a chance. The party walls were dot and dab onto thermalite blocks which also needed great care to ensure that fixings were deep enough to reach through the plasterborad and to fix into the blocks.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • prishaanprishaan Forumite
    80 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    prishaan said:

    Hi, Greetings from Derby. I need your experienced advice. I have just moved to a new home, almost newly built. The previous owner( the first) lived here for 8 years. They did have their flat tv mounted on the wall.  I am wondering,  if  I can hang my 55" curved tv on the wall as well.   I have a swivel bracket that I used in my previous home but the electrician is not confident of using this as its a cavity wall in my new home. He worries that it may not be able to hold the tv on the wall.  He advised a fixed bracket instead. . I am though not sure if that goes well with a curve tv. Can you please suggest what's best I can do? Should I get a fixed bracket, or a swivel bracket is doable or better I get a stand? 
    I am here sharing picture of the previous owner's tv mounted.




    Highly appreciate your wise suggestions.

    Many thnaks 

    thank you so much for your  helpful comments 
  • BelenusBelenus Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I find watching a TV mounted on a wall well above eye level to be uncomfortable as I have to tilt my head and/or eyes upwards.

    My advice to you is to mount your TV on a stand so that the centre of the TV is at or slightly below eye level in your normal viewing position. That negates any issue of wall mounting.


    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • prishaanprishaan Forumite
    80 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    TBH I'd be very wary of fixing any sort or TV or bracket to a cavity. You really need to establish how the wall is constructed to ensure that any fixing actually go into the building structure and not just into the cavity, The problem with a swivel bracket is that it it can exert a far greater leverage on the fixings than one that's fixed and close to the wall.

    We had a home once where some of the walls were just two sheets of plasterboard with an egg-box construction between them and were useless for supporting anything heavier than a picture although proper cavity fixing did make it a bit better but they were only as strong as the walls.

    Even the external walls were hollow but if you could find the battens that the plasterboard was affixed to then you were in with a chance. The party walls were dot and dab onto thermalite blocks which also needed great care to ensure that fixings were deep enough to reach through the plasterborad and to fix into the blocks.
    thanks for the info it's really helpful~
  • prishaanprishaan Forumite
    80 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Belenus said:
    I find watching a TV mounted on a wall well above eye level to be uncomfortable as I have to tilt my head and/or eyes upwards.

    My advice to you is to mount your TV on a stand so that the centre of the TV is at or slightly below eye level in your normal viewing position. That negates any issue of wall mounting.


    thank you so much sir.
  • J_BJ_B Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    TBH I'd be very wary of fixing any sort or TV or bracket to a cavity. ...........

    How do folks fix their kitchen units to the wall? 🤷‍♂️
  • prishaanprishaan Forumite
    80 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Le_Kirk said:
    A cavity wall suggests it is double skinned and comprised of brick outer and breeze block inner, in which case using suitable fixings I would say you could hang anything on that wall.  If however you mean it is a stud wall with plasterboard so creating a cavity, you would have to find the studs.
    thank you so much for support,  I greatly appreciate!
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    J_B said:
    TBH I'd be very wary of fixing any sort or TV or bracket to a cavity. ...........

    How do folks fix their kitchen units to the wall? 🤷‍♂️
    I didn't say you couldn't do it but I'd be a bit wary of hanging a grands worth or more of telly on a plasterboard cavity wall without carefully considering how to do it safely. or using the appropriate fixings. Personally I wouldn't.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    46.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Check with the current owner if the builders put in strengthening for a TV mount.

    Are they taking their bracket and making good?

    As it will be hidden behind the TV one strategy is to fix something to the studs(or into the solid wall if there) and mount the bracket on that.

    We decided to go for the standalone cantilever stand to give options to move without having to fix up wall.

    after checking out loads of options  I got his one(with voucher £58) they also do white
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087F3F6JX

    The shelves clamp on so can be fully adjusted or removed without leaving holes.
    my plan is to make a sound bar bracket to attach to the clamp part.
    IT comes with most fixings but a curved screen may need longer bolts.



Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

British Gas prepay meter users...

...to pay less for gas from 1 April

MSE News

The 'odd Easter flavours' thread 2023

What bizarre food stuffs have you spied?

MSE Forum

Energy Price Guarantee calculator

How much you'll likely pay from April

MSE Tools